Setting Up Membership For My Needs

Hi,

I got the individual plugin "Membership" yesterday and am trying to set it up but apparently I'm super dense at the moment cause I'm lost. I have watched Charlies video series a couple times and read the manual about 10 times.

So I'm trying to achieve what should be really simply setup. Visitors (Non Registered) should see all my sites content but not my bbpress forums page.

Free Registered users will also see ALL content, but this time the forum as well but be subjected to advertisements.

Premium members will see everything as well but NOT be subjected to any ads.

Now I've chosen paypal standard gateway, I'd like to offer Monthly non recurring, Monthly recurring, and Yearly recurring options.

Unfortunately Membership has so many settings that I'm overwhelmed and also a little confused about "Shortcodes" so where do I find "Shortcodes" and where to I put them? Like in pages thru Membership or do I navigate to my themes files and paste them there?

If someone could help me accomplish what I stated above I would really appreciate it. thanks.

• Vaughan

Hi @james,

You will need to create 3 subscription plans.

1 plan for each type of subscription.

1 plan set as finite level for 1 month. 1 set as 1 month serial, 1 set as 12 month serial Add the same premium access level to each.

for the free registered, create a free membership subscription, set this to indefinite. you will also need an access level for the free membership too,

Then in dashboard > membership > options > general select the free membership plan for registered users.

Shortcodes has changed since the manual was written, you can find those on the access levels page.

So you can surround your ads with the free membership level & visitors level shortcodes.

[level-visitors]
      visitors ads here
    [/level-visitors]
    [level-free]
      free ads here
    [/level-free]

That would all depend on the ads you're using tho. many use user roles. If that's the case, then use advanced rules in your access levels, this will allow you to set a different user role for your premium members.

Hope this helps

• Michael Bissett

Hey @James,

Free Registered users will also see ALL content, but this time the forum as well but be subjected to advertisements.

Premium members will see everything as well but NOT be subjected to any ads.

...where do I find "Shortcodes" and where to I put them?

You can find the shortcodes for wrapping your content by going to Membership -> Access Levels. You'd wrap your content with it like this:

[level-free-member]
    This is an ad
    [/level-free-member]

What do you use to show your ads on your site?

Visitors (Non Registered) should see all my sites content but not my bbpress forums page.

First, create a URL Group by going to Membership -> URL Groups -> Add New. Now, say the URL for the forums was:

example.com/forums

You'd want to enter that into the Page URLS box. Give the URL group a name, and save.

Go to the edit page for the Visitors level, and add the "URL Groups" item to the "Negative Rules section. Select the URL group you created earlier, and save. That'll prevent users from accessing your bbPress forums.

If more advice is needed, please let me know! :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Michael

• James

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay, I am operating a local news site with my Wordpress and it's been a rather busy day, just got back from covering a Structure Fire. Both of your input was helpful, I created packages, and linked the access level (free) to the free package etc. The Account, Subscriptions and Register pages show up on my website.

When a visitor views the website, they can sign up for a free subscription which is indefinitely. However when you are logged in under the free user, the subscriptions page has nothing on it.

The membership plugin is a pain in the arse, this added with my installations occasional "sorry you don't have permission to view that" hiccup and it can become rather frustrating to work with.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but could this issue be related to the section where I assign items to the positive / negative etc? I've only added the forum to the negative for visitors. Please advise further?

• aristath

Hello again James,

I visited your dashboard and tried to understand what you've done...
    From what I see, you've created a URL group called "forums" and added the URL to your forums there:
    http://www.newarksources.com/forums/

I added 2 more entries on your URL group:

http://www.newarksources.com/forums/.*
    .*forums\/.*

These 2 will match ALL urls that start with forums, so all forums access will be blocked.

From that point on, it's pretty simple.
    On your free level, you'll have to add a negative rule for that URL group.
    On your premium levels, what do you want to block?

Please advise,
    Ari.

• James

Ari,

Thank You so much, everything appears to be working as it should! I only wanted to blow visitors access to forums, and allow both free and premium to access them. The only other thing I wanted to do with Premium was disable ads on pages so when someone pays they don't see ads.

Just a couple quick questions for reference.

When I go to protect something with a shortcode like say I hide an ad from a paying customer, where do I put the shortcode? For example, do I go to where my Ad code is placed and enter it there?

Also the Members who signed up prior to membership being enabled are reporting that they can see all three links, two of them are displaying Register and Subscriptions, however the third "Account" is telling them they don't have permission.

However when someone signs up for a brand new account, example Free Subscription they have no problem viewing any of the pages. Everything works as it should. It's a minor issue, but I have noticed during tests own a dummy account created prior that once you upgrade to a paid subscription the issue disappears. Just wondering if it's meant to be like that by default.

My last question has more to do with paypal, and I understand you guys can't provide support in that regard, however maybe some advice? When a member chooses a premium subscription they are taken to a secure Paypal page (I chose Standard paypal gateway, couldn't find express) and it only allows payment thru paypal account or if you click pay with debit or credit card it wants you to sign up for a paypal account instead.

How do I allow members to have a choice between paypal and debit / credit without having to create a Paypal account to use their credit card. I've seen this on so many other websites. I currently have a premier level paypal account, would I have to upgrade to business?

• Michael Bissett

Hey @James, glad to hear this is working for you now. :slight_smile:

When I go to protect something with a shortcode like say I hide an ad from a paying customer, where do I put the shortcode? For example, do I go to where my Ad code is placed and enter it there?

Actually, what you could do, is wrap the ad in the shortcode for the free level, like this:

[level-free-member]
    <enter ad code here>
    [/level-free-member]

That way it only shows for the free members. :slight_smile:

Also the Members who signed up prior to membership being enabled are reporting that they can see all three links, two of them are displaying Register and Subscriptions, however the third "Account" is telling them they don't have permission.

However when someone signs up for a brand new account, example Free Subscription they have no problem viewing any of the pages. Everything works as it should. It's a minor issue, but I have noticed during tests own a dummy account created prior that once you upgrade to a paid subscription the issue disappears. Just wondering if it's meant to be like that by default.

Can't say for sure without looking at your setup, but it sounds like these members in particular don't have an access level yet, that may be affecting their ability to view this page.

This could be fixed by assigning the affected members the appropriate subscription. :slight_smile:

How do I allow members to have a choice between paypal and debit / credit without having to create a Paypal account to use their credit card. I've seen this on so many other websites. I currently have a premier level paypal account, would I have to upgrade to business?

Fortunately, you don't have to upgrade your account, according to this:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/mer/WAX_landing-outside

You'd be going to Profile -> Website Payment Preferences (under the Selling Preferences column), and then selecting Yes for "PayPal Account Optional".

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.