Setting Up My First Network Site

I haven't felt so frustrated, or like such an idiot noob, in a long time...

I have the sense that WordPress Multisite in general, and WPMU specifically, could help make my life as a webmaster a LOT easier. And some of the plugins look amazing...

However, I can't find coherent, up-to-date information all in one place, and it's very frustrating. I don't know what to do first.

I have created and tried to install the same new domain as a network site at least 5 times now. I have removed it in defeat that many times, too.

Can someone please help me get started? Like, do these things, in this specific order?

The background:
I have shared hosting through SiteGround - one primary domain, and the hosted domains show up as sub-directories of that domain in cPanel > File Manager.

The primary domain is the multisite installation.

I have the WPMU DEV Dashboard and Domain Mapping plugins installed, including the changes regarding sunrise.php.

I have a new domain registered at GoDaddy, and pointed to the same DNS server as the primary domain (the multisite installation). I can change that, if necessary.

What are the next steps?

If this is available somewhere else, I will cheerfully go follow the directions, but I haven't found it in two days.

• Steve
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hello, Vaughan,

Except for this issue, I'm fine, thanks. I hope you are, too.

I have already been struggling with the specific page you mentioned, for several hours. I'm sure that from the perspective of someone who already knows all this, it makes sense. But from my point of view, it has a great deal of extraneous information, and I find it frustratingly unhelpful.

For instance, under Adding Additional Domains to cPanel, we have these instructions:

You need to direct your domain to the correct file path for the site you want to use the domain. This option is automatically populated as well, but you can edit it.

To use your domain for the main site, edit down the Document Root field to the root of your account. This varies sometimes between hosting companies but generally looks like public_html or www. Make sure not to include a forward slash at the end.

To use the domain for a different site in your hosting account, you need to know the folder name where the site is stored. If you’re not sure what the folder is named, you could access it by going to Files > File Manager in cPanel.

This presumes that there is already a site on the server, correct? When did I install that? Is it a pre-existing WP installation that I'm somehow bringing into my multisite?

At the end of the section, it tells me NOW is the time to create a single or Multisite installation of WordPress?? Again, I know that for you folks who have been doing this a while, this all makes sense, but from my point of view it's not helpful - it's the opposite.

I would still like to find step-by-step instructions. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.

• Ajay M Aravind
      • The Bug Hunter

hello Steve ,

I wish to guide you from where you had stopped. First question will be, have you setup your multisite??

I have the above doubt because you said

This presumes that there is already a site on the server, correct? When did I install that? Is it a pre-existing WP installation that I'm somehow bringing into my multisite?

Any domain mapping is done to a subsite of a multisite. There is no need of any new WP installation. It is the way a multisite works.

Are you really trying to map those domains to your multisite subsites?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.