Setting up my network

Hello,

Newbie here. A couple of weeks ago I set up a path-based WP multisite network on my Mac. I’m having some issues with my browser not rendering the php files at the moment but that’s not why I’m writing. I need advice on how to effectively structure my networks and, I guess, workflow.

My plan is to develop my main blog site locally using MAMP and then to export updates to my server. Additionally, my father has asked me for help with his business website (the blind leading the blind) which I guess I can develop “live” as a subdirectory on my server where he can view it and agree changes before exporting it to his server (can this be done?). Finally, I am hoping to develop further business sites for myself. These I would develop as subdirectories locally. I guess my main issue is with my father’s website. Should I be developing it “live” since other people may see it? Most importantly, is there an easier, more effective way of structuring my network and my father’s website (eg. network mapping?)?

Thank you for your help and apologies for such a basic question.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Superduke, hope you are well?

Newbie here. A couple of weeks ago I set up a path-based WP multisite network on my Mac.

Whats a path based setup? Are you referring to a sub-directory install?

My plan is to develop my main blog site locally using MAMP and then to export updates to my server.

That can work but there are some complications, nothing major but just keep in mind. Its really the IP, domains and paths. Its just more work.

Additionally, my father has asked me for help with his business website (the blind leading the blind) which I guess I can develop “live” as a subdirectory on my server where he can view it and agree changes before exporting it to his server (can this be done?).

I'm a big family man, I love the idea of you helping your father out.

Yeah its possible, same thing though as before. Its the paths and domain in the database. Keep cache plugins off as well, it will only cause further confusion when moving the site.

. I guess my main issue is with my father’s website. Should I be developing it “live” since other people may see it? Most importantly, is there an easier, more effective way of structuring my network and my father’s website (eg. network mapping?)?

There are options here, you could have it so guests would see some default drop page. Whereas you would see the site.

You could do this in htaccess based upon IP.

There are also plugins for this:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-coming-soon-page/

You can also find themes which do this as well.

Personally I like using the WordPress Multisite feature, so all sites use the same code base. Then use the Domain Mapping plugin to map specific domains to subdomains/folders.

Hope this helps.

Take care

• superduke

Hi Timothy,

Thank you for reacting so quickly to my post.

To clarify: I've gone with the sub-directory install to create a path-based network. Not sure now if that was the right way to go since, for example, my father's website has it's own domain name. On the other hand, you write that the sub-directory install presents some complications (albeit nothing major). Considering my situation, what would be the best (easiest?) set up according to you.

Thank you for your help.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

The complications are not sub domain vs sub directory. Its more about developing locally and then moving the whole install.

Its not a complication which is hugely negative, its more just more things you need to consider when moving the site.

Here is what I would do.

Use a domain name, get it set up as a network:

Maindomain.com <-- this would perhaps be your business site, home site, etc.

Then set up the websites you want to work on so if it is your fathers site then:

father.Maindomain.com

Or if it is a sub folder install:

Maindomain.com/father

Get the site going, configured, sort the theme out, etc.

Then when you are done and happy developing your fathers site, use the domain mapping plugin to map in your fathers domain so that:

father.Maindomain.com

becomes:

fathersdomain.com

Hope this helps.