Setting up Prosites / Buddypress multisite

Hi

For the site : SmartVillage.scot

I want to be able to easily start new subsites, for new village communities, and have two main questions:

1) I'm thinking Prosites could be ideal for managing this, my main question / requirement is to define a template for each new site, so that I don't have to repeat the basic shell set up each time? Can I build one site and define it as a template for this?

2) I want each subsite to have its own Buddypress/ bbpress forums. I've raised this on another ticket where I've run into issues, and think I may need a multinetwork plugin etc.?

Any experience of doing this combination Prosites + BP multiste?

thanks, Neil.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Neil McEvoy

1) I’m thinking Prosites could be ideal for managing this, my main question / requirement is to define a template for each new site, so that I don’t have to repeat the basic shell set up each time? Can I build one site and define it as a template for this?

You can use our New Blog Template plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/

With this plugin, you can create as many template sites as you want, and then on site creation you can assign a template for that site.

2) I want each subsite to have its own Buddypress/ bbpress forums. I’ve raised this on another ticket where I’ve run into issues, and think I may need a multinetwork plugin etc.?

BuddyPress is not designed to work on single site basis within a network, rather it is supposed work on network level.

To have multiple BP network within a network, you will need multi network as you already mentioned, but please note that, multi network is nothing office by wordpress itself. So, this is quite possible that a later update of wordpress can break the multi network.

Otherwise, you can use different BP groups for different communities within a single BP network.

Personally, I never used BP in a multi network, but if you want I can move your ticket to the member forum where more members can chip in and make some suggestions.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Neil McEvoy,

You can use Cloner plugin to copy existing subsites, please check the plugin documentation:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/cloner/#wpmud-hg-project-documentation

And once copied, you can make the required changes, and create a template via the New Blog Templates plugin once done.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further query. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,

Nithin

• Neil McEvoy
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Nithin

Ok understood thanks. And this prompts a question:

If my primary goal is to replicate sites from a template, what’s the difference / benefits of using New Blog Templates, if I can just do it via Cloning any way?

thanks! Neil.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.