Setting up structure for Directory?

I have installed and played with Directory and it seems that none of the fields one would normally associate with a directory exist (address, map, postcode, phone number etc) - I am assuming that i will need to create each one myself as a custom field?
This brings me to my main question - how to actually structure the directory listings?
Obviously the fundamental reason for a directory is to categorise and store many listings. These listings are pointless if visitors can't find them, so a good structure and the ability to find things easily through a search box are crucial.
The "search" facility is of particular concern to me -
1) will a standard WP search query the custom fields i set up?
2) should i enable "Support Regular Taxonomies" in settings?

I am a bit lost and i would rather get it right first time, so any help from anyone who has used this in the wild will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings PoshWeb Happy New Year!

Thank you for the question and indeed I do not know the absolute answer but believe it will be done with the included custom press.

To be absolutely certain I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• PoshWeb
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thank you Joe, and Happy New Year to you too!

I also assume that all elements of the directory should be created with the included custompress.

My concern really is how to structure it all, and the best use of categories tags and custom post types.

My goal is to create a national directory covering many niches, listing businesses from all uk counties.

I need visitors to be able to search by town/county or by business-type.

I look forward to @arnold popping-in and sharing his thoughts.

Regards,
    John.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Yes you would need to add the custom fields you want in CusotmPress. If you look at the shortcodes in CustomPress you can see how to dispaly any of the fields as you need. Directory itself displays all the fields associated with directroy listings.

As to searching, default searching i wordpress doesn't check custom fields as it is very expensive to make those joins with the meta data tables. However if you need it you need it,so I would suggest a plugin like Search Everything

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search-everything/

Which can give you control over what's important to your search.

I wouldn't use standard taxonomies in the custom types. There are some subtly bugs in Wordpress that can come up when you search over more than one custom post type at a time.

• PoshWeb
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi @Arnold,

Sorry for the late response, that was remiss of me :slight_frown:

Thanks for your answer, and i am now well on my way to understanding this beast.

One thing that is lacking in the documentation that would be very helpful when theming is a list of which files are responsible for which pages.

If it is not too much trouble, it would be great for a list of php files that are responsible for output, ie:
    single-listing page, listings archive page, add listing page etc

Thanks,
    John.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings PoshWeb,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.