Setting up WP for multiple blogs

Hi, I have been reading through your manuals, and would like some clarification on setup structure prior to commencing, so I don't have to redo work please. Sorry if this sounds very simplistic - just keen to get it right.

I would like to set up 3 totally separate blogs - one each for myself and my wife, and one for my brother, which we will administer on his behalf.

They each have their own URL (already registered) and are stand alone ventures for our respective businesses. I don't need or want any cross polination of members or content.

I am about to purchase a hosting package, and set up the base level architecture. I was looking to purchase a hosting package that allowed me to host multiple domains on the one package.

I wasn't aware of the multiuser option until I became a subscriber, and it sounds great EXCEPT...
I don't particularly want the subdomain or subdirectory structure very visible to visitors.

I would just like someone who types in Domain 1 to see the relevant blog, with Domain 1 visible in the search engine bar, and likewise for each of the other blogs.

Just confirming that a WP multiuser site, installed the different blogs installed as subdirectories, and properly applied domain mapping for each of the 3 domains will achieve this outcome.

Alternately, is there a better installation option for me to use?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mark

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Mark

I would like to set up 3 totally separate blogs - one each for myself and my wife, and one for my brother, which we will administer on his behalf.

Sure.

They each have their own URL (already registered) and are stand alone ventures for our respective businesses. I don't need or want any cross polination of members or content.

The membership part is not possible by default. Everyone whom registeres gets added to the main install and then need manually adding to sub sites. There are plugins to deal with this.

There are details on these two links:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/does-anybody-still-have-the-wpmu-blog-registrations-plugin
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/about-mp-blog-register-quick-hack-please

I am about to purchase a hosting package, and set up the base level architecture. I was looking to purchase a hosting package that allowed me to host multiple domains on the one package.

Not sure what your asking here?

Some hosts restrict addon domains (extra domains used on the package) but many don't. We never have.

I wasn't aware of the multiuser option until I became a subscriber, and it sounds great EXCEPT...
    I don't particularly want the subdomain or subdirectory structure very visible to visitors.

I would just like someone who types in Domain 1 to see the relevant blog, with Domain 1 visible in the search engine bar, and likewise for each of the other blogs.

Once you map the domain with the "Domain Mapping" plugin, the sub domains will not be visible. They will appear as independent sites. some plugins for example may add an top nav bar, but they can be removed.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping

Hope this all helps. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.