settings page Vs settings site

which do i use specifically for BuddyPress group chats ?
settings page or settings site ?

basically i want to have default settings especially for the visual appearance of the chat.
Is it possible to limit the various chat settings available when the group creator goes to their "group name" > admin > group chat ?

kind regards,

RC

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi RC,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your questions.

The Chat Settings Page settings are used to control the inline chat shortcodes applied to Posts, Pages, etc. You can setup default options here. As well as override these default options with shortcode parameters on the specific Post, Page, etc.

The Chat Settings Site settings are used to control the bottom corner and private chat area settings. Under Multisite the bottom corner chat can be enabled at the Netowrk. When this happens it will replace the local site bottom corner chat.

For the BuddyPress Group there is a full settings section on the Group Admin tabs Admin -> Groups

For more information on it visit the following pages.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-chat-plugin/#usage
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-chat-plugin/

You can configure the BuddyPress global settings that effect all Groups from the following path.

Admin area -> Chat -> Settings Common -> BuddyPress tab

Note: These settings will not appear if you do not have BuddyPress active on your site.

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• amused

ok, thanks for such a speedy response.

so i can take it that "settings page" is specifically only for "short codes" whether used for pages or posts but NOT for BuddyPress ?

and can i also take it that "settings site" is used only for corner and private chat but NOT for BuddyPress ? how does this play in with the private chat for BuddyPress "friends" ?

if this is the case, am i to assume there are no settings that apply to BuddyPress other than what falls under "settings common" ?

In other words, to fully configure the chat similar to the options available in "settings page" and "settings site", has to be done ONLY by the BP group creator on the front end of the website itself ?

For example, the settings to set a chat are extensive, the creator of a group in a community site about dating, addiction, pets, etc. etc. are not Web Masters, they simply want and need a chat session.
    I as owner of the site, would like when these chats are created to have not just similar appearances to each other, but an appearance I set to blend with the theme of the website (and i am not referring to custom CSS, but rather the appearance options available in "settings site" and "settings page").

I hope i am explaining myself properly, but i am just not sure if i got a specific answer to my initial question.

In other words, can there be a default chat appearance setup specifically for BuddyPress set by the site owner ?

Any kind assistance in this would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards,

RC.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi RC,

Thank you for your reply.

so i can take it that "settings page" is specifically only for "short codes" whether used for pages or posts but NOT for BuddyPress ?

and can i also take it that "settings site" is used only for corner and private chat but NOT for BuddyPress ? how does this play in with the private chat for BuddyPress "friends" ?

Yes it is not for Buddypress. For Buddypress there is a separate Group Chat Settings section in the front end where Group Chat can be configures ( See the attached screenshots ).

Users can also initiate private in-corner chats with their online friends via the toolbar. Note that this requires either BuddyPress or the WPMU DEV Friends plugin.

See more information here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-chat-plugin/#usage

if this is the case, am i to assume there are no settings that apply to BuddyPress other than what falls under "settings common" ?

Along with the settings under "settings common" there is also Group Chat Settings in the front end as displayed in the attached screenshot.

In other words, to fully configure the chat similar to the options available in "settings page" and "settings site", has to be done ONLY by the BP group creator on the front end of the website itself ?

Yes the BP group admin can configure the BP Group Chat Settings.

For example, the settings to set a chat are extensive, the creator of a group in a community site about dating, addiction, pets, etc. etc. are not Web Masters, they simply want and need a chat session.
    I as owner of the site, would like when these chats are created to have not just similar appearances to each other, but an appearance I set to blend with the theme of the website (and i am not referring to custom CSS, but rather the appearance options available in "settings site" and "settings page":wink:.

There are some options in the "Box Appearance" and "Message Appearance" tabs of Group Chat Settings to blend the appearance of group chat according to the theme.

In other words, can there be a default chat appearance setup specifically for BuddyPress set by the site owner ?

I didn't find any, I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advise for us.

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Paul

@Randall,

At the moment the BuddyPress options are all within the individual group admin settings. There are plans to move the Chat > Settings Common > BuddyPress panel to its own Chat > BuddyPress section. But this is still being considered. So far all other Chat/BuddyPress users have been ok with having the BP Group chat settings within the group.

• amused

ok thanks,

in my view, the exact same way and reason someone would want to "preconfigure" settings for their pages, posts and private chat, would make obvious sense that there should be this same option for BuddyPress as well.

The fact that the BP group owner could configure settings on the front end as well as a default configuration on the backend by the site owner, would make this plugin even more versatile, powerful and feature rich.

An extra feature i would love to see is to have this as an option.
    ie. to either allow or disallow the BP group owner to change a million different settings.

The main point i was trying to get across was to have the site owner configure appearance settings etc., and just have the BP group owner activate a chat, "THE END !!!", and not to have them worry about configuring a million settings to try and make the chat look and fit in the website properly. That may not make sense to them in a community site when their main goal is communication, not design.

I hope others feel and understand this so it can get added as an option to the plugin.

Thanks again !!!

RC.

• Paul

@Randall,

Yes, agreed this would make things easier. But as with most software things are just not universally configurable. This will need to be reviewed and planned for some future release. I think the 'locking' option would be beneficial to the non-BP chats as well. I've had some discussions with other members about dropping the inline options for the shortcode. Just set the Chat > Settings Page for example and prevent users from overriding the chat options with the shortcode. We'll see.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.