Several inactive plugins showing up for blog owners

I installed wpmudev, along with some plugins using the control panel. Several of them now show up for blog owners, even though the plugins have not been activated by the network admin id.
This is happening for the plugins:
E-Newsletter
Events
Hello Dolly
Q&A - Wordpress Questions and Answers Plugin
Remove Permaklinks Menu Item
Wordpress Chat.
They are all inactive in the network plugin, but on the user's list of active plugins, they all show up. I was even able to activate one (as a blog owner) even though the network owner had not activated it.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @bavaughan

I hope you are well today,

Sorry to hear of the issues you are having, do you have any management plugins installed? Or Pro sites?

If you allow access to the plugins menu on your site, and the plugins aren't site activated, the non-active ones would show in that menu for a blog owner to activate themselves.
    You could disable the plugin menu option in wp-admin, but do your blog/site owners/users need access to that part?

Thank you.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• bavaughan

Ah! ok, it looks like I may have mis-understood how plugins should be displayed.
    If I disable the menu, does that mean that individual blog owners can't pick & choose individual plugins to use on their site? I (the admin) would be enabling/disabling plugins network-wide?

the scenario I had in mind was:
    When the admin installs a plugin, it is listed in the network admin settings as disabled, and is invisible to blog owners/users.

When the admin enables the plugin, it becomes available on individual blog owner's control panels, for them to enable as they choose.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @bavaughan

Thank you for the reply :slight_smile:

Yes, how it works in WordPress is, a plugin can be networked activated, which means that it is automatically enabled on all your sub sites, normally network activating a plugin gives extra functionality like our MarketPress plugin with the ability to create a marketplace with a global cart.
    Network activated can't be disabled by individual site/blog owners, only you as the network admin can disable them/deactivate them,

Yes if you disable that menu, it means your site/blog owners won't even see what plugins are installed or be able to deactivate them.

You could upload your plugins and then not network activate them, leave the plugins menu on and then your site/blog owners could individually choose what they want activated on their blogs/sites.

For how you want to use plugins, I think this could work here http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/multisite-plugin-manager/

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.