Several question about affliates plugin

OK, I'm finally installing the Affiliates plugin!
I did the basic set up, but there's so much not accounted for! So:

1. How do I ensure that cookies last 1 year?

2. How do I ensure that payment is only for paid purchase, not clicks.

3. How do I create a page for JVPs with email and text links?

4. Will referrals be tracked for purchases and enrollments in my Membership plugin? The guide referred a lot to blogs, but this is not a multisite. What I want to track is the people who enroll in the membership or purchase services or products.

5. How do affiliates get access to their report page to follow their clicks and how can I access it too?

6. Will this integrate with Pay Per Post purchases and enrollment in the Appointment +?

Thanks,
MM

• Tom Eagles

@mariamar

hi there here is a quick list of answers.

1) You can adjust the cookie expire time on line 285 of affiliatelite.php.
    2)
    3) What do you mean by JVP's
    4) That will work
    5) The statistics page is available using the following shotcodes which can be added to any page.

[affiliatelogincheck] – place this at the top of the page that you are planning on using the rest of the shortcodes on and it will display a login message if the user isn’t logged in.
    [affiliateuserdetails] – mirrors the affiliate details form from the admin area (yellow box)
    [affiliatestatstable] – mirrors the large click statistics table
    [affiliatevisitstable] – mirrors the referrers this month table
    [affiliatetopvisitstable] – mirrors the top referrers table
    [affiliatestatschart] – mirrors the main statistics charts
    [affiliatevisitschart] – mirrors the referrers charts
    [affiliatebanners] – displays the banners you add to your affiliate

6) It should but i am bringing in the devloper to confirm this for you.

Cheers

• mariamar

Q1. Where is this affiliatelite.php? Please tell me the path to find it.
    Q2. You skipped this one: How do I ensure that payment is only for paid purchase, not clicks? The membership has a free trial and the commission should start once the member pays.
    Q3. Forget this for now.
    Q4. So you are saying that the sales/commissions automatically integrates with Membership?
    Q5. Where do I put these codes? All in one page or each in a page?
    Q6. OK, thanks. I'm waiting.

Thanks,
    MM

• Barry

Q1. Where is this affiliatelite.php? Please tell me the path to find it.

If you are running the normal version, then you won't have this file. That file is only in the lite version of the plugin.

Q2. You skipped this one: How do I ensure that payment is only for paid purchase, not clicks? The membership has a free trial and the commission should start once the member pays.

The commision on the membership plugin is paid when a subscription is created, regardless of what is charged (free / paid). If you only want a payment to be made when there is a value for the subscription (a paid one) then use a percentage value for your affiliate commission, as a % of 0 is 0.

Q4. So you are saying that the sales/commissions automatically integrates with Membership?

You need to activate the membership add-on within the Affiliate plugin, and then set up the commisions / amounts to be paid on each subscription (on the subscription edit page).

Q5. Where do I put these codes? All in one page or each in a page?

Whereever you want. If you want it all on one page, then put them on one page, if you want to spread it out amongst a few pages (one for stats, one for account details, etc.) then do that.

• mariamar

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your responses.

Q1
    If I don't have the php page, then how do I change the cookie time in the regular version of affiliates? Are we going around and around with this one?

Q2
    Thanks. Will do.

Q4
    Where is that page? I've looked at all settings for both plugins as well as the subscription plans from membership and there's no place to set the commission rate in any of them.

Q5
    Thanks. Will do.

MM

• Barry

Q1
    If I don't have the php page, then how do I change the cookie time in the regular version of affiliates? Are we going around and around with this one?

It's in affiliates/affiliateincludes/includes/config.php
    if(!defined('AFFILIATE_COOKIE_DAYS')) define('AFFILIATE_COOKIE_DAYS',30);

You can edit it in that file or copy and paste the line into your wp-config.php file (from the config.php file - don't copy and paste from above as the formatting of this forum can sometimes mess up the quote marks :slight_smile: )

Q4
    Where is that page? I've looked at all settings for both plugins as well as the subscription plans from membership and there's no place to set the commission rate in any of them.

The add-ons list is in the admin menu for the Affiliate plugin (see first picture to find that page). Once you activated that add on then if you click Edit for any of your subscriptions in membership you will see a new section (see second picture).

• mariamar

Hi Barry,

Well, I'm having lots of questions now, as I try to do what I need to setup my affiliates; and they all boil down to the ability to use this plugin for business affiliates and Joint Venture Partners vs. just allowing members to earn a commission for direct referrals.

1. Do my business affiliates and JVPs (Joint Venture Partners, partners for a launch or campaign) have to become a member? Since I don't want them to pay in order to help me sell, let me know how to set this up. I'd like them to have an easy sign up independent of membership/subscription.

2. Usually JVPs are helping in a launch or other special events and need email text more than banners. Is there a way to place such text so that they can copy/paste and it will contain their email link automatically? In most affiliate systems, you can do this in a page where you place the text and include a link to the URL you want your affiliates to send people to, and the system automatically converts that URL link in the text into the specific affiliate link.

3. I need a bit more information for these business partners in the signup process, like business email and name, assistant email and name, social security/employer ID and stuff like that. Is this possible to set up without being a coder? Where and how?

4. I still can't find where to establish the commission fee.

5. By the way, I need to establish 2-3 commission levels. One for the regular members. One for business affiliates in general and one for special JVPs launches and events. Anyway to do this?

6. How does this commission work in relation to the referrer's membership duration? In other words, what happens in the scenarios below where Mary (affiliate member) refers Sally and ...
    A. Sally stays as a member for 1 year, will the commission % be taken every month for one year or will it be valid just for the first payment? Or can I choose which is which?
    B. Sally stays as a member for 4 months and then unsubscribe. Will the commission end automatically?
    C. While being a member, Sally purchases something else in the store. Will that be registered so that it can earn Mary a commission too? Can this commission be different than the subscription commission? The sales is a different subscription plan.

7. Is it possible to establish a limited time commission for certain subscription levels. Let's say that Mary receives 40% of the membership fee Sally pays, but only for 4 months. Still, Mary can earn a commission on other stuff Sally buys.

Thanks,
    MM

• Barry

1. Do my business affiliates and JVPs (Joint Venture Partners, partners for a launch or campaign) have to become a member? Since I don't want them to pay in order to help me sell, let me know how to set this up. I'd like them to have an easy sign up independent of membership/subscription.

You'd need to use a seperate sign up form that is different from the membership registration system, and direct your business affiliates and JVPs to that instead.

2. Usually JVPs are helping in a launch or other special events and need email text more than banners. Is there a way to place such text so that they can copy/paste and it will contain their email link automatically?

No, the plugin can handle banners, but not automatic text with links.

3. I need a bit more information for these business partners in the signup process, like business email and name, assistant email and name, social security/employer ID and stuff like that. Is this possible to set up without being a coder? Where and how?

You need to use a more advanced sign up form plugin - such as gravity forms (or one of these https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=advanced+registration+form+wordpress ). The affiliate plugin doesn't have it's own sign up form.

4. I still can't find where to establish the commission fee.

Did the screenshots above not help? The first one is accessed via the menu shown - the second one is in the subscription edit page - Membership -> subscriptions -> click edit under your subscription -> scroll down to affiliates section.

A. Sally stays as a member for 1 year, will the commission % be taken every month for one year or will it be valid just for the first payment? Or can I choose which is which?

It depends if you have the plugin set to only pay out on the first payment, or to pay on every payment.

B. Sally stays as a member for 4 months and then unsubscribe. Will the commission end automatically?

If set to pay on every payment then the commission is only paid when a payment is received. As soon as payments stop - commissions stop.

C. While being a member, Sally purchases something else in the store.

What store? - aren't we talking about the membership plugin integration?

Will that be registered so that it can earn Mary a commission too? Can this commission be different than the subscription commission? The sales is a different subscription plan.

If you mean via marketpress - yes, activate that affiliate add-on and set the different commision in the marketpress settings.

7. Is it possible to establish a limited time commission for certain subscription levels. Let's say that Mary receives 40% of the membership fee Sally pays, but only for 4 months.

No, it's a pay only on the first payment, or pay on all of them.

• mariamar

Where exactly do I find that path: affiliates/affiliateincludes/includes/config.php

In the editor, for affiliate, I only see three choices:

affiliate/affiliate.php
    affiliate/license.txt
    affiliate/support.txt

There is no affiliateincludes.

Is this the wp editor or the plugin editor? Please remember that I am not a coder or developer. I can place codes only if I know exactly where. Thanks.

MM

• Barry

Is this the wp editor or the plugin editor? Please remember that I am not a coder or developer. I can place codes only if I know exactly where. Thanks.

Do not edit in the WordPress admin area, you can break your site very easily. Download the file to your computer, open it in a text editor, change it then re-upload it.

Then there's a box for dollars and another for cents. Since this is neither, but a percentage, which box I choose to place let's say 20%?

Do you see my screen shot above? Put 20 in the first box, 00 in the second and then set the drop down to % (in the screen shot it shows USD)

• mariamar

Barry,

I don't understand what you are saying about the editing of the code and even if I knew what you mean by "edit in the wp adminis area" I do not feel confident enough to download the WP code editor, change it and reload. No way. It's one thing to add a code somewhere, where I know where I placed it and can take it off if it does not work, and another for a major surgery. I'm not that advance!

It seems to me that determining the cookie time for affiliates should be a simple thing, not a major coding. So this is unresolved, and I don't know where to go from here.

I'm getting the sense that this affiliate plugin is basically for people who want to allow members to promote the site to others, not a full affiliate system for people who want business affiliates in order to create promotional campaigns, launches, etc to attract new customers.

There are too many things that need special coding or some extra stuff that is not clear how to integrate it, etc. I'm not a coder, but I've worked with several affiliate systems, so the concepts are not new to me. But it seems that you have to be a coder or developer to get any business affiliation going in this plugin. I hope you prove me wrong!):

Again, what do you mean by another form to sign business affiliates? Do you have a form plugin that would integrated with the tracking in affiliates and memberships without additional coding? Otherwise, I don't see how they can sign into another form and still be integrated to both systems. (Unless you are thinking that I manually integrate them.) Please clarify.

Thanks,
    MM

• Barry

I don't understand what you are saying about the editing of the code and even if I knew what you mean by "edit in the wp adminis area"

If you use the editor within the Wordpress admin area (I'm assuming you where trying to do that as you could only see the files in the root of the affiliates directory) and you make a spelling mistake or miss of a ; on a line then your entire site will be unaccessible and you won't be able to get into the editor again to fix it (I speak, unfortunately, from experience).

• Barry

It seems to me that determining the cookie time for affiliates should be a simple thing, not a major coding. So this is unresolved, and I don't know where to go from here.

It is, it's very simple :slight_smile: You need to edit your wp-config.php file and add the line I gave you. Editing this file should be something you should look at, because if you need to change your database username or password then you will need to be able to edit this to update it. If you want to add domain mapping or a caching plugin should your site traffic grow and your server slow down - then you need to know how to edit this file.

I'm getting the sense that this affiliate plugin is basically for people who want to allow members to promote the site to others, not a full affiliate system for people who want business affiliates in order to create promotional campaigns, launches, etc to attract new customers.

A business affiliate needs to sign up on your site in order to promote it - there needs to be a user account that holds the details of the affiliate (i.e. what account to pay out to / the number of clicks / referrals / signups). If there wasn't a user account then there would be nothing to record statistics against.

Again, what do you mean by another form to sign business affiliates? Do you have a form plugin that would integrated with the tracking in affiliates and memberships without additional coding?

Yes, I've already mentioned gravity forms - which has a user registration add-on and provided a list of other plugins (via a google search link above) that will also allow you to create a form to register users without any additional coding.

Affiliates integrates with wordpress users - so any form that creates a wordpress user will automatically work with the affiliates plugin.

• mariamar

Barry,

I thought that sharing my vision and plan for the membership and how I want it to operate with my affiliate may help you get an idea of my needs and see how they can be met. So here it goes:

I have a membership with several subscription plans, events, private coaching sessions and also (coming soon) group programs and a store.

I am marketing it through launches with joint venture partners or business affiliates who will promote it to their tribe through emails or a special event and then send them to the signup page.

There, their tribe can sign up for a 15 day free trial and after that, the business affiliates obtain a commission fee for each monthly membership fee. To make this really attractive for higher-end partners, they need to get commission for an entire year and across subscription levels.

Let's say that business affiliate X sends me 30 people who sign up. Then, during the year, 2 of these referrals signs up for private coaching or mentoring, 5 of these referrals sign up for group programs, 10 purchase from the store and 5 attend events. All of this would be tracked to affiliate X link and the partner will receive a commission fee.

In this way, the ROI for any business affiliate is attractive enough, even though their commission on monthly membership fees (the initial purchase) may not be that great. Those 30 referrals may yield only 150 a month, but within a year, this has turned into:

2 x $3,000=$6,000 x40% = $2400

5 X $499=2495x40%=$998

10 x $50-$500x20%=$100

5X$100=500x20%=100

Therefore, these 30 referrals have yielded $3,598 plus the 150 a month for the partner. That's a lucrative offer to which more partners will respond.

(Notice that the commission fee percentage is different for each type of subscription plan/product, which I've already determined can be set up in the subscription area.)

I hope this clarifies what I'm trying to do and gives you some ideas on how to help me set it up.

Thanks,
    MM

• mariamar

Barry, it seems that we are not talking the same language.

1. Editing the WP configuration file is not simple FOR ME.I do not want to mess with that level of coding that can affect the functioning of my site. Period. Determining cookie should be part of the choices given in the plugin itself. It is in most affiliate systems. If doing that level of coding is the only way to change that cookie time, then this plugin does not work for me. If there is any other solution, please advise.

2. I have several affiliate systems and have worked with many others. I know how it works. What I am asking is precisely if using the form you suggest will automatically integrate this affiliate with the Membership + sales, for tracking and how.

If the affiliates signs into WP, they might show up as affiliates in the plugin, but will this path lead to tracking of the membership levels sales? That's what I specifically want to know, and if there is something else I need in order for this integration to happen.

Let's say that I don't want any more surprises and I have very little time left to launch my site.

I've been trying to set up this site for more than 2 weeks now. I am a content provider, not a coder or developer. The idea of buying WPMU is that everything is simple and easy to install, right? So I need an easy way to do the set up I describe above.Easy for me.

I would appreciate if you study the set up I describe above and let me know how to set it up, step by step. Though we've done some steps, if I know what I need to do for any part of the set up, then I can work on my own.

Thanks
    MM

• mariamar

Hi,

I'm still waiting for some ideas or instructions for this issue to finish setting my affiliate system.

The two specific issues to resolve are:

How to set the cookie time for 365 days in a way that doesn't involve messing with the WP administrative code.

If using another form to sign in the affiliates will allow tracking in an integrated way with sales/registration in the Membership plug in, and if so which plugin do you recommend and is there anything I need to do for the integration?

Thanks,
    MM

• Africa

@Mariamar - I totally understand your frustration. I can't help with much, but I did figure out how to set to cookie for a different period of time. I've included a screenshot. GoDaddy hosts my website. I am more than happy to tell you how to go step-by-step through there to get this done.

In general, I went into file manager clicked on my wp-content folder. Then I drilled down as you can see in the screenshot on the left. Once I got into the includes folder, I then clicked on the config.php file. On line 16 you can change the cookies from 30 to whatever number you want.

I'll be watching your thread as I have many of the same questions.

Good luck!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.