Several questions: youtube descriptions, title linking to source, specify source link, feed as a tag

I have several questions about using the autoblog plugin with youtube. I am testing this on the default 2012 theme with the post type set to "video" but will move it to another site.

1. It does not appear to import the description text from the youtube description field? It is there in the feed, it is just does not appear in the post?

2. The title of the blog post links to the original source (ie youtube). Can this be changed to link to the created post on the page? I intend to use this on a site where I aggregate videos from our own video channels across youtube (think wordpress.tv like site)

3. (could be a feature request) In addition to the actual page source the video came from, can I specify a specify URL as well? For example, the top-level of the youtube channel?

4. The posts from youtube all add the rss feed URL from the youtube channel? How do I stop this?

• aecnu

Greetings bostondave,

Thank you for the great questions.

1. It does not appear to import the description text from the youtube description field? It is there in the feed, it is just does not appear in the post?

This is indeed logged as a feature request and the lead developer is in on the request and is aware that others want this feature as well.

Hopefully once the smoke clears form the WordPress 3.5 update and the updating of Membership etc. he will find the time to implement this request and of course you have my support and +1 on this.

2. The title of the blog post links to the original source (ie youtube). Can this be changed to link to the created post on the page? I intend to use this on a site where I aggregate videos from our own video channels across youtube (think wordpress.tv like site)

The add on Enable External Permalinks for Autoblog in the add ons section must be activated - deactivate and you should be good to go on this issue.

3. (could be a feature request) In addition to the actual page source the video came from, can I specify a specify URL as well? For example, the top-level of the youtube channel?

Yupper you called this one right as a feature request.

4. The posts from youtube all add the rss feed URL from the youtube channel? How do I stop this?

Please clarify on this one, though this may be related to #2 above.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• HamRadioDude

@aecnu Could you point us to the post of the Feature requests for YouTube Auto Blog Discussion please.
    I'm presently using a plugin that has no support (author abandoned the Plugin and nothing else is around that can take its place) that I would like to switch to Autoblog and tested Autoblog with the YouTube addon, and would like the features bostondave has mentioned also would like to see Comments Imported from YouTube into the Post.I really think this could bring in new users to wpmuDEV, just with this additional features
    Sorry to Hijack the thread I will continue on link posted

• aecnu

Greetings bostondave and DirectoryDude,

@bostondave I have it set to add tags if they do not exist? which appears that the feed threw you a mickey adding the url in as one of the tags from what I can tell.

@DirectoryDude Thank you for the inquiry and I think the best choice of the threads talking about this feature is this one https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/is-the-youtube-add-on-ignoring-text in which the lead developer has chimed in on.

This ticket will also be added to the feature requests area.

Thank you both for being WPMU DEV Community Members and have a GREAT weekend.

Cheers, Joe

• elpino

Greetings @bostondave and @DirectoryDude i have the same request a while back, in the meantime i told my costumer to use google.com/reader nothing to install and gets the description and thumbnails so they just copy and paste from there... all feeds in one simple location, no training necessary (is google) and don't have to browse to every site to check for new post, here they take what they need and no need to install anything. Hope this helps.

Regards
    Alex

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.