shared login url for intire network

Hi

We have a rather large wpmu setup and most of the users asks about the login url to their blogs. Is it possible to have a shared login url so the login would allways be domain.tld/login and after login then redirect to the users administration panel ?

If one logins now, though that url there is a notice that you can manage your site, and when you click the administration panel link you need to login again to get access.

• Fullworks
    • The Bug Hunter

It does doesn't it. I tried all the different combinations of domain mapping, but it always re-asks, as far as I can see. Annoying.

The way we deal with it is we have the user login tucked away under a 'flap' on their sites e.g. http://bookhamguns.co.uk see the top left 'flap' saying llocally, when the mouse goes overthat it reveals (on the right) a login in link, so our users don't need to remember any URLS except their own.

• Fullworks
    • The Bug Hunter

@timothy that isn't the issue, as I understand it.

When you have domain mapping switched on

If you have neworkdomain.com and subsitedomain.com

if the user goes to networdomain.com/wp-login and enters the credentials for subdomain.com, e.g. subuser : subpasswd

The wordpress accepts the subuser : subpassword

but immediately redirects to

subsitedomain.com/wp-login

and then re-asks for the user credentials

This is a glitch or possible bug in domain mapping, in that it either shouldn't accept the subdomain user at newtork level login, or it shouldn't re-ask for credentials.

As I mentioned, I tried all the permutations in the domain mapping settings and could not get a clean way of this working.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

if the user goes to networdomain.com/wp-login and enters the credentials for subdomain.com, e.g. subuser : subpasswd

The wordpress accepts the subuser : subpassword

but immediately redirects to

subsitedomain.com/wp-login

and then re-asks for the user credentials

Yes, whereas if the user logs in to the wp-login page on their own page, then it will log them into the main domain as well. This has been requested a few times and I've always reported back that, depending on the size of your wpms install, and the number of blogs a user could be a member off - it could cripple your install.

As an example, the way cross-domain cookies work is to add a file from the main domain in the header of each page which creates (if required) the relevant logged in cookie for that domain. If you were to reverse this, then for every page on your site you would need to get the user details, find out which sites / blogs that user is a member of and then add a file to create the login cookie for that domain to the top of a page. i.e. member of 1 site - one file added, member of 10 - 10 files, 100, - 100, etc..

I'll move this to feature requests for now whilst I think if there is a neater solution, but the reason it hasn't been implemented so far is that I'm yet to come up with one :slight_smile:

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Cross domain cookies sounds nasty.

They are, and in reality could be described as a "bit of a hack" to get around web browsers cookie security systems (a cookie can only be read on the domain on which it is written, so we can't check the login on one domain from another).

• bloggersdelight
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

thx for all the reply´s , my college figured out a way to make a login box in the network domain to work using the login to do some ajax call to replace the form submit url to the correct blog, therefore there is no crossdomain going on, as the form submits directly to the blog.

Let me know if you want the code.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.