ShareThis + Comments Plus = Firefox8 fail

My epic struggle with Comments Plus continues.

Everything works if ShareThis is deactivated.

If I activate it then Facebook fails on Firefox8+. There is no popup to sign in. If I disable the javascript then all the browsers fail to open a Facebook signin popup. All the other services are fine.

I've tested this on three machines. ShareThis is used on 1,000,000 + websites so I think it's a fair one to hope for compatibility.

This is a showstopper for me :slight_frown:

Example link: Use Firefox 8+ and try to open the Facebook login popup:
test.toptasmania.com/2011/11/shortcode-test-2/comment-page-1/#

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hi deepsouth.

Just had a good play around with it on my test install.

With them both enabled, we see the conflict. As you mentioned, turning it off (Skip loading Facebook javascript) in Comments Plus does not resolve the issue because the JS from the other plugin does not perform the tasks required, resulting in the following errors:

Uncaught ReferenceError: FB is not defined
    Unsafe JavaScript attempt to access frame with URL
    FB.login() called before FB.init(). <-- this one on button being clicked.

I'll fetch this to the attention of the developer, I'm not sure what he would like to do for the long term solution. Unfortunately when using two similar plugins (sharing JS) conflicts can arrise and complicate matters.

Although not your preferred approach, as an intrim solution you might consider using the "Floating Social" plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/floating-social

Also allows custom additions, I tested it with AddThis (custom addition), which is similar to ShareThis:

http://www.addthis.com/

Sorry I could not give you a solid answer right at this moment but we'll see if the developer of this plugin has any ideas of how to best tackle this.

Take care.

• deepsouth
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Timothy,

Even though the immediate outcome is disappointing, I must say I remain incredibly impressed with WPMU's support. To have my enquiry investigated so fast and in such detail is heartening.

So thanks again and hopefully the dev might have some good news . . . .

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

This kind of issue pops every now and again, with different Facebook-related plugins, and even themes. Some plugins allow for coexistence with other plugins through their settings, but unfortunately ShareThis isn't one of them.

However, in the latest plugin release (v1.3, just released) there is an add-on titled "Alternative Facebook Initialization" that may help you solve the issue. To make your Facebook login work along Share this, you'll want to check "Pages on my website already use javascript from Facebook" option in plugin settings, and activate the add-on.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.