Shipper migration Service error: Generic error

I used Shipper to migrate this site from WPMU dev to my reseller hosting on Heart Internet. It has failed and not sure why. I know it’s Apache but when I migrated it from the old hsoting into WPMu dev that was all ok…
I’ve looked at the logs but I didn’t understand

It says

September 16, 2019 6:48 am – Migration cancelled
September 16, 2019 6:48 am – Service error: Generic error
September 16, 2019 6:48 am – Canceling remote migration failed
September 16, 2019 6:48 am – Attempting cancel on 7********1/m*****.co.uk migration
September 16, 2019 6:48 am – Attempting to cancel export migration
September 16, 2019 6:48 am – Cancel lock set, process shutting down

I just refresh the Sipper page but did not do any cancel.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello JEANETTE,

I hope you’re well today!

I checked both source and target sites and it does look like the migration was actually cancelled. I understand that you did not cancel it and what I mean is that it seems to be cancelled “from Shipper perspective” – so something must have interfered with the process.

I’m not much familiar with the target host but is there any server-side cache there and any firewall or similar security layer running? If yes, it might be good to temporarily disable it, if possible.

I would also like to ask you to give the migration another try. Over the weekend we’ve been performing serious updates to our forums here and even though that should not be related in any way it’s better to rule it out (as there might have been some temporary unexpected connectivity issues).

To re-try the migration please first reset Shipper on both source and destination sites by going to “Shipper -> Settings -> Data” page and clicking on “Reset” button in “Reset settings” section there. Do this on both sites, please.

After that, set up your notifications again and start the migration again (you only need to do this on one site – so either “import” on a destination site or “export” from the source site; not both) and see if it completes this time. If it fails again, let me know please and I’ll directly include our Shipper developers in the case so they’ll check why it’s breaking and how to fix it.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• JEANETTE
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Adam,
    I started the migration again last night.
    I reset Shipper in both sites.
    The ftp in the destination site is unlocked.

This is the message in the error logs
    September 17, 2019 6:03 am – Trigger remote import – at 10% (step 1 of 1) – total progress: 78%
    so it is stuck at 78% which I think was the same as the last time I tried it.

I’m not aware of any firewall etc on destination host. This is my reseller hosting account but I have not tried migrating before with a plug in and have only ever done it manually.

Hope the devs have a fix :slight_smile:

• JEANETTE
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

HI Adam – I had to cancel the migration as it was still stuck at 78%.
    Unfortunately I have to move a few sites back to live onto clients hosting. So if you can let me know if there could be a solution using Shipper or we may have to get this done manually.

Thank you :slight_smile:

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi JEANETTE

Hope you are doing well.

Sorry to hear you got this issue again.

Please, check if you have any big file, and exclude them from migration, for example, backups files.

If you already did this, please, try to run a new test, on this time, please, go to Shipper > Settings and enable the Use uploads directory as working directory,.

Also, please, try to start the migration from the destination site, using the Import option if the first time you started from the source site.

If the issue persists for this site, I’m afraid the manual migration would be the best option. I can see the shipper version with zip file and restoration script is coming, so we will be able to use this feature in case the migration fails.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/roadmap/

Let us know if you need any further help on this.
    Best Regards
    Patrick Freitas

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.