Shipper shows wrong notice in pre-flight check

I am having trouble with Shipper Pro, it was seeing the destination site as subdomain, but both the source and destination site are subdirectory.

The origin site is set up as subdirectory however when you try to make a new site or if you look at the network settings it says it is subdomain.

I am trying to import from the destination site and in the prefight it says the destination site is subdomain.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello jnkfrancis

I hope you’re well today and thank you for your question!

The error is valid because Shipper cannot “convert” sub-domain install to sub-folder install on the fly, In fact, it’s not “as easy” as just changing one line in “wp-config.php” file, if the site already exists for some time and has some working sub-sites on it.

I checked the source site and it does look like it’s currently set as sub-domain site. Not only the wp-config.php (and the fact that the new site’s are attempted to be created as sub-domains) suggest it but also .htaccess rules.

Unfortunately, I have no way of tracking it back in time to see why is that and how it was configured in the past but it looks to me like the site was created as a sub-folder install, the sub-sites were added to it, then there was an attempt to convert it to sub-domain setup but wasn’t converted fully (if it was, even existing sites would be turned to sub-domains).

To be honest, I’ve never encountered that before I think (at least not as far as I can remember). But it’d be easier to try to get it back to sub-folder rather than the other way around, especially that it would take conversion of two sites rather than just one.

Here’s what I’d suggest to try:

1. take a full backup of the source site

2. make sure that nobody is making any changes on it (including publishing) except you for the time being

3. replace this line in “wp-config.php”

define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true);

with this one

define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false);

4. edit .htaccess file and replace this specific block of rules (only!)

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*.php)$ $1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

with this one:

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

5. clear all caches and see if the site and it’s sub-sites are all still working (note please: in any case, to get back to the current state, you just need to replace those things back)

If the source site (along with its sub-sites) is still fine, then try creating a new sub-site on it and it should be created as a sub-folder site. If that works fine, then try migration with Shipper again, it shouldn’t then block it as both source and target sites would be a proper sub-folder setup.

Keep me informed please.

Kind regards,

Adam

• jnkfrancis
    • Recruit

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the help. I see now that we could’ve solved this last night had I paid closer attention :slight_smile: I was in the wrong cPanel when I was on chat last night. If I was on the right one I would’ve seen the config file was goofed up. The site was originally set up as a sub-folder install and it looks like someone tried to change it. Your suggestion worked and Shipper is shipping away.

Thanks!

J

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.