Shipping Options

I need the ability to setup "shipping option" - e.g. In-store pickup, Local Delivery (would be delivered from the store) and Shipping (so, UPS, Fedex, etc.). Then the payment would be required for local and/or shipping, but not in-store pickup.

I also need to exclude certain products from shipping options. E.g. - it's only available in-store, etc.

Possible with MarketPress? How can I accomplish this without re-creating the wheel here?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi stemm23,

I do believe that can be done without having to reinvent the wheel, though it would involve a fair degree of custom work.

The following code is provided by Aaron (the lead developer) in this thread regarding custom fields in MarketPress:

add_filter( 'mp_register_post_type', 'add_mp_custom_fields' );
    function add_mp_custom_fields($args) {
         $args['supports'] = array( 'title', 'editor', 'author', 'excerpt', 'revisions', 'thumbnail', 'custom-fields' );
         return $args;
    }

I imagine with that you could create a new custom field in MarketPress that designates whether those additional shipping options are allowed.

You could then use the plugin-template.php file in the \marketpress\marketpress-includes\plugins-shipping\ folder as a base to build your own custom shipping plugin. You can use any of the other shipping plugins for reference as well.

Perhaps that'll work for ya?

-David

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks!

• jamesathomson
    • The Crimson Coder

+1 for this for me.

The store I am building needs 3 options,

- Instore pickup
    - Pickup from pre-defined Drop Off point
    - Delivered to customers address

I am sure this is going to be a custom job based on what I've read elsewhere on the forums. How would I go about finding someone to do this for me?

Thanks!

James.

• Catrina
    • Flash Drive

Hy,
    Custom fields, interesting idea.
    As mentioned before we really just need a comprehensive shipping module however I have been kicking around ways to work around this temporaiarly.
    I was thinking of just setting flat rate shipping at zero and simply entering a price for shipping the item in the "extra shipping" field. At least we won't be losing 5-20$ per sale like we are now. It may work until we have a solution but here are the problems with it.

• Catrina
    • Flash Drive

Oops somehow that got posted before I was done.
    Problems
    1 - labor intensive, I have to look up shipping costs for every product rather than having the customer do this with a calculator.
    2 - won't work when someone buys more than one item (75% of my sales)
    3 - option needed for local pick up. custome field may work here, but even if the person can say they want zero postage we have to have the product set at the price that "most people" would pay for postage. will the code given above make the shopping cart refrain from charging the person that requests pick up or local delivery, or will we still have to hand invoice those people?

One more question. Where exactly would that code need to be added to allow the person to choose local pick up or delivery?
    Thanks,
    Catrina

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya guys,

You're not alone in looking for this. Obviously there are a ton of scenarios to consider. We're listening and the developers are working to incorporate as many requests as possible. Thank you for your patience with us :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.