Shipping options seem extremely limited

Just purchased MarketPress (not Lite) and am reasonably impressed with it so far, BUT I'm very surprised by the apparently limited support for a reasonable range of shipping options. In particular, I'd like to have two shipping choices -- standard or upgraded, and I'd like to have a simple formula or table that computes shipping cost based on the number of items orders - e.g., for upgraded shipping, first item shipping cost is $6, add $3 for each additional item in the same order. Instead, all I see is "flat" shipping or shipping computed from cost alone.

Am I missing something? Does basic functionality like what I described require an added plug-in or other mod?

Thanks
Grant

• Timothy Bowers

Hi gpetty.

BUT I'm very surprised by the apparently limited support for a reasonable range of shipping options. In particular, I'd like to have two shipping choices -- standard or upgraded, and I'd like to have a simple formula or table that computes shipping cost based on the number of items orders - e.g., for upgraded shipping, first item shipping cost is $6, add $3 for each additional item in the same order. Instead, all I see is "flat" shipping or shipping computed from cost alone.

At the moment there is not an option for upgrade shipping. I do know though that Aaron is working on some more advanced shipping options like weight calculated shipping and USPS, UPS, FedEx.

For specific requirements like shipping upgrades we could make this a feature request. I would have a use for this personally, so I would add my +1.

I would also like to see a free shipping after X amount and options for adding custom shipping. For example Economy, First Class aka dispatched in X days, dispatched in X days (quicker)

Anyone else looking for shipping upgrade options?

Take care.

• gpetty

Thanks for the response. I have to say, however, that this just caps an exasperating round of experiments with three different "premium" carts. I don't know how a cart system can be billed as "The easiest to use, best designed and most powerful ecommerce / shopping cart plugin available for WordPress today - guaranteed" -- and not have even the most rudimentary support for shipping options. Every single commercial vendor site I've made purchases from in the past year has had choices between UPS Ground, UPS Second-day, etc.

How hard can it be to give the customer a pull-down tab or checkbox to choose one of 2+ options for shipping and then calculate the resulting shipping charge based on simple criteria specified by the shop owner? I'm not even a web programmer and I managed to cobble together a simple PHP-driven form that did what I need: http://www.sundogpublishing.com/Ordering/OnlineOrders.html

I've been in the process of switching from my primitive hand-coded HTML website to a WordPress site precisely because I thought the switch would make the site appear more professional, easier to maintain, and would allow me to take advantage of plugins that would make managing online orders easier for both me and the customer. Instead I keep encountering "premium" plugins that sound awesome until I actually try to make them do super-obvious things like handle shipping charges in a reasonably flexible way. And strangely, every plugin is weird about something different. :slight_frown:

I think this topic is not resolved, and as much as it goes against the grain, I think I will reluctantly request a refund of the 3-month subscription I just paid for.

Sincerely,
    Grant

• baselb5

There seem to be several requests open at this time regarding shipping options for MarketPress and MarketPress Lite.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/store-pick-with-marketpress#post-157398
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/shipping-options#post-150922
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/marketpress-overnight-2-day-shipping-options#post-157734

I submitted questions regarding shipping in October (https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/marketpress-features-1). I offer pick-up and designated in-town meeting which are free. I also make catering and lunch deliveries with fees varying depending on postal code. Right now I'm not able to collect any of my delivery fees... which means I'm loosing money by using MarketPress.

Hopefully we will start to see progress on this topic.

• Catrina

+1 x 1000
    We sell some items that are heavy and will need weight based shipping options and some that are very light which we could offer our customers a large break on shipping costs from our flat rate of 10.50 that we use for flat rate shipping on priority mail for our plants. No one will buy the light cheap items if they have to pay 10.50 for shipping so we lose sales. We lose money on heavy items too. I also have multiple people selling on my site and they ship seperatly from their address so if a customer wants to buy more than one product from different people the shipping won't be correct unless they do each sale separately. I won't be able to stay with this system for long. It just won't work for me. What's the point of having a shopping cart if you still have to invoice any customer manually that buys more than one item or buys a product that doesn't fit a standard mold or wants to buy from more than one of our associates.
    gpetty is correct. I have tried all of the popular wordpress carts and each one has something different "wrong" with it. Marketpress seems to be the best other than a huge shipping problem. If I can't find a working cart I may have to leave wordpress all together, but that would be sad. I love wordpress.
    I posted on one of the other threads that basilb5 mentioned above and suggested tying into the shipping calculator offered by the USPS, or UPS, so far that thread has been silent. Maybe there is an obvious reason that I don't get why this couldn't be done, but it seems like the easiest solution to me. I wish I knew enough about this stuff to write my own plug in but I can't claim to be that advanced.
    Everyone seems to have slightly different needs. Maybe the titles of the different options could be written by the users for different shipping variations. Just have a drop down list where whatever number of different variations is needed by that business can be made available to the customer.
    Also very, very important we need to be able to have different options for different products.
    Pretty Please!
    Catrina

• RichardHK

>>+1 For the shipping option. And agree to gpetty that the marketpress plugin should live up to its expectation as - "The easiest to use, best designed and most powerful ecommerce / shopping cart plugin available for WordPress today - guaranteed" <<

+1 again on above and Solarix's comments.

I am into Marketpress for the second time and expected (naively?) to see more progress on missing and what I consider standard functionality. Shipping, grid display, csv import... for example.

Nought but tiring and expensive time wasting experiences with ecommerce on WordPress. :slight_frown:

• Timothy Bowers

Hi gpetty.

Appologies about the delay in my response. Christmas was hectic for me with a new born and the having to fly to Spain to deal with a family medical emergency.

MarketPress itself is still a relatively new product and is in constant development based on customer feedback. All feed back is welcomed and valued and I can assure you that the developer of this plugin aims to provide those features most requested for whilst ensuring the plugin never becomes to bloated.

I've worked with other carts in the past and was brought here for MarketPress, I and my clients found MarketPress to be "The easiest to use, best designed and most powerful ecommerce" The most powerful part in that it can be deployed in a multisite network allowing for unique carts whilst charging a fee.

I do agree with your concerns about shipping, I would love to see some extra options here and I'm sure they will come. :slight_smile:

I think this topic is not resolved, and as much as it goes against the grain, I think I will reluctantly request a refund of the 3-month subscription I just paid for.

I'm sorry you feel this way. Anyone with concerns or questions are always welcome to contact pre-sales prior to purchase to confirm any details.

I will pass this feed back along to Aaron.

Hi Grafics. I hope you are well. :slight_smile:

but the shipping and variation options are a very big concern.
    An indication of a time frame estimate would be helpful.

What variation options concern you?

I'm sorry I but unfortunately WPMU Dev don't give time frames on any projects, this avoids disappointments should any delays occur and this can happen, especially around times of new WordPress releases where developers have to divert their attention to ensure the plugin works well with new releases and fixing any issues which occur.

As I mentioned above though, I'll let Aaron know about this thread, he maybe able to give an idea of if this is on the todo list and in what version it might be expected. His schedule is rather busy as you can imagine.

Hey Catrina. How are you?

I certainly think weight based shipping would be the best option to implement first as this should cover most bases. Further integration with Fedex and other providers would be cool as well, but that aspect could be managed manually if weight based shipping was added.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I know Aaron does have plans for more extensive shipping.

Hi mysolarix. How are you?

No feedback from staff / marketing department of wpmudev?

I thought that wpmudev would not be playing around with the wording and provide only the best.

Yes, I did respond above, mine was the second response. I also stated that the developer is looking to add more extensive options. Weight based shipping was not advertised in the product description, so I'm not sure where the word play is an issue here.

Which bugs do you refer to, I could take a look at thread if you wish?

Hey RichardHK, hope you are having a great day!

Sorry to hear about that no carts on WordPress meet your own expectations. WPMU Dev do take on member feedback, many plugins have gained new features and updates requested in these forums.

I can only echo what I've already said in this thread, that Aaron will be looking at implementing further shipping options.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks everyone for your valuable feedback, it really is appreciated by WPMU Dev!! :slight_smile:

• Aaron

for upgraded shipping, first item shipping cost is $6, add $3 for each additional item in the same order.

That can be done with flat rate shipping by say making it $3, then giving the products $3 additional shipping each.

I hear you guys on more shipping options, I promise they are coming soon. Weight based is about to be released, and calculated options come next. The option to choose provide shipping method choices will come with that.

• Grafics

I totally understand not giving firm time frames, but we have to make choices/recommendations for clients. A roadmap maybe? We're fast approaching a deadline and choice between Marketpress and wp-ecommerce has to be made. Really do not want to go with those other guys, but shipping options (weight based / free on select products such as donations at minimum) multiple variations, and at least csv download are must haves.
    Variations - need Variation sets. T-shirts are good example, need to choose sleeve length, size, color. With even a small number of products that becomes extremely difficult to manage with only one level of variations.
    Relatively short experience here at wpmu has been much more positive in terms of forum participation/responses that I've seen with others which is why I'm hoping you guys can bring Marketpress up to par in the feature department.

• mysolarix

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for replying. And thanks for the greeting.

Weight based shipping was not advertised in the product description, so I'm not sure where the word play is an issue here.

You havent read whole sentence of what my post is? The twisting part here is if Marketpress advertised as the BEST should be up to the par (as Graffics mentioned)

And the other one part is the Cancel At Anytime. But then it is just meant cancel without refund. What is the good of cancel anytime without refund?

Anyway, since Aaron has replied (Hi, greeting to Aaron), hopefully the Marketpress plugin features update will be launched quickly, and being at the top list of priority.

Thanks

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Grafics.

I totally understand not giving firm time frames, but we have to make choices/recommendations for clients. A roadmap maybe?

A roadmap is an excellent idea, I recommend this myself and was told that is the plan but its not currently available just yet.

I believe the idea will be to have a roadmap of versions (not dates) so members will be able to get an idea of what is coming.

I see what you mean now about Variations, more sets like you would see in something like ZenCart or Magento. I know this has been requested before. :slight_smile:

Hey mysolarix.

You havent read whole sentence of what my post is? The twisting part here is if Marketpress advertised as the BEST should be up to the par (as Graffics mentioned)

I read every post here completely but I understand what you mean now.

I suppose the term "best" comes down to ones own opinion. I use this cart myself and for me it was most certainly the best. Yeah there could be a few other things I'd love to see but in terms of how mature MarketPress is, well its still relatively new and thus actively developed.

If I wanted something far more advanced then I would use Magento and oftern recommend it to my clients when they want something much more complex.

And the other one part is the Cancel At Anytime. But then it is just meant cancel without refund. What is the good of cancel anytime without refund?

I understand what you mean, when you sign up to a subscription you have the choice of 3 terms. 1 month, 3 months and 12 months. You can cancel at anytime so your service does not renew and continue for another term.

Otherwise people would sign up for a day download the whole catalogue then cancel. :slight_frown:

Take care.

• WRBijl

Hey Aaron,

Thanks for the reply. I want my customers to choose whether they want a certain product shipped or pick it up at the store. So every product has to have a weight for the weight based shipping. At the checkout they'll have the option to either ship it or pick it up (without extra charge). Therefor I would need to add a free field for text and one for the amount. Similar to the simple hipping module in WP e-commerce. Would be great it that could be added!

Cheers!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.