Shipping Rules by Category/Geographic Area

One of my clients sells appliances and electronics, and I'm thinking of moving them to MarketPress. We created custom shipping rules for them on Interspire Shopping Cart... because of their relationships with their suppliers, they can ship nationally for most electronics, but only sell appliances and white goods in the local service area. Is there a way to create category/geographic based shipping rules?

Thank you!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

I'm afraid that isn't possible as yet but we have had many requests for more flexible shipping options so it's definitely on the list... just need to work out the best way to do it!

I'll move this thread to feature requests and pass it on....

Phil

• LesTP
    • New Recruit

Hi Aaron! Thank you for getting back to me.

By category, for example "Washers and Dryers"... do not allow shipping outside a list of zip codes. An error message that says "We regret that this is outside of our delivery area". In the category itself we could explain that we only ship within those zip codes.

The reason is that these appliance retailers have agreements with Whirlpool, Electrolux, etc. to service only a defined geographic area.

Thanks again!
    Les

• LesTP
    • New Recruit

I see. The thing is... it creates channel conflict unless it's prohibited by the system. The suppliers get upset if there's even the possibility that a customer could inadvertently order from a retailer outside their area... creates a bad customer experience. Ultimately it's not my client who's upset, it's Whirlpool, Maytag... who's to say we refund the invalid order and someone get's angry at the supplier rather than the retailer.

• Aaron
    • CTO

We very likely will not be adding this, at least not for a long while. Geographically calculated shipping is in the works though for a soon version.

A developer should be able to create a custom shipping plugin for you though that could do this without much work.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.