Shortcodes not working in Membership Plugin

Hi,
Having trouble getting the shortcodes to work correctly.

In the instance of this page (http://staging.creatingorder.com.au/the-professional-organisers-edge/)
neither: %usernicename%
nor: [level-declutter-club] (level based shortcode)
seems to be working.
I've tried deactivating all other plugins...but the issue continues.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings kate_claringbould,

Sorry to see that you are having an issue with short codes.

I have done a bit of digging of the shortcodes available in Membership and could not find any ready made shortcodes available and the %usernicename% with the exception of the level code [level-declutter-club] but of course that must have an ending code too [/level-declutter-club] and the protected content in between the two.

Please advise where you found that these shortcodes or are they custom?

Cheers, Joe

• kate_claringbould
    • Flash Drive

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your help.

I am actually using

[level-declutter-club] Decluttler Club Dashboard[/level-declutter-club]

To hide content. However it is not hiding the content. Just displaying the shortcode and the content between the tags. This is what the 'Access Levels' page has generated and displayed in the shortcode section of the table

I think the issue with the tag/shortcode of: %usernicename% is unrelated to this plugin (sorry - just realised).

Cheers,
    K

• Ian
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi K.

Just jumping in here thinking it might just be that you are viewing it as the admin.

For me when logged in as admin I see everything including the shortcodes and content. I think that is normal so you can see how it works.

But viewing it as a un-logged in user (public) or logging in as a normal member for that level, it works fine how it's meant to.

Cheers, Ian

• kate_claringbould
    • Flash Drive

Sorry....I'm back on this thread. It turns out %usernicename% is related to this plugin (still trying to work out how to display the users name in a welcome message...I have:

Welcome %username%!

and that is exactly what is displaying when viewing the page as a user..!?

As mentioned above, same thing occurs when all other plugins are turned off. Also, when viewing the page as a particular 'membership type/level'.

Any ideas?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings kate_claringbould,

Thank you for the additional input and feedback.

Concerning the shortcodes and hiding them in all views - think about it, how can you administer them then? How will you see from the front end how they are applied?

The lesson to be learned here is to always use two completely different browsers, one for testing and one for developing. I have said it what seems like a thousand times here in the forums and most people suddenly quit having so much trouble when applying themselves in this manner.

Also never have caching running when developing either, that is the other big no no so to speak, not that this statement was relative to you specifically, but for all others that may read this post. It is obvious with caching running that one will not see the real deal until the cache refreshes and it messes with folks heads.

Regarding %username%, I have gone through every option, checked short code possibilities in every fashion I can think of and do not see where this short code exists in any way shape or form relating to Membership.

In addition, if it were a membership short code it would be contained in brackets just like every other short code in membership.

Please advise where this is coming from? I admit I do not know everything so I am 110% open to be shown something I do not know.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Kate,

Thank you so much for the clarification which is absolutely helpful and now I actually know what you are referring to and those are for messages only. That entire page of codes are message specific and similar to those found in auto-responders etc. and not to be used on the open site.

To display just the users name outside of this message I am not familiar with how it can be done.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Bit strange tho - may I suggest as some kind of future development, that the short code does what its supposed to in all views?

There are quite a few messages in the plugin (one in yellow at the top of every admin page) that tells you that you are logged in as a membership admin and will see everything.

As a membership admin user shouldn't have a level, it's tricky to have the level codes do anything :slight_smile: So it's simplest to have them shown so that the admin user can see what is wrapped in what shortcode.

Welcome %username%!

Where are you trying to use this?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Welcome %username%!

and that is exactly what is displaying when viewing the page as a user..!?

There is no %username% for a page. It is a tag for the communications module of the plugin for sending out emails, but has never been something that can be used in a page.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Kate,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Suz
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Kate,

I know this sounds silly, but I beat my head against the wall on this problem until I realized I had a blonde moment and had placed the shortcodes in the Visual editor...not in the text tab. As soon as I moved them to the text editor...voila!

• kate_claringbould
    • Flash Drive

Hi all,

Sorry for dropping off on this one. Had to get the site live. So have pulled in another plugin to do what I want.

Would be great if the Membership plugin could facilitate these tags/shortcodes whatever....most other membership plugins do.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Cheers

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.