shortcodes not working on site

I have tried to set up a page with different content per level using shortcodes. here is the page: http://planetwaves.net/pageone/leo-sign-description/ — I got the shortcodes from the access level section of the plugin.

On Firefox the codes are displayed when I am logged in but more importantly, on all browsers, the content between the shortcodes is displayed regardless of access level.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings PlanetWaves,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and for including the link to the page.

What I have found when visiting the page as indicated by my screen shot below are no shortcodes unless they are […] which would be incorrect if they are the representation of short codes..

I tested this in both Firefox and Chrome.

Are you running caching on the WordPress installation in question by any chance?

Are you using two completely different browsers for developing and testing? i.e. Firefox for developing and Chrome for testing and dumping the caching and cookies of the test browser before each test?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings PlanetWaves,

Thank you for the additional input which is absolutely appreciated and telling.

I admit checking the page once again i.e. http://planetwaves.net/pageone/leo-sign-description/ I cannot see the shortcodes nor the protected content but I do not know exactly what I am looking for either in regards to the protected content.

So I have gone ahead and created a test of this as shown here on my test production server: http://membership.aecnuwpmu.us/a-test-of-level-shortcodes-bronze/

And indeed it does NOT protect the content in which the protected content is supposed to be This is Bronze Level protected content by Joe – Does it work?

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

On Firefox the codes are displayed when I am logged in but more importantly, on all browsers, the content between the shortcodes is displayed regardless of access level.

Are you testing logged in as membership admin user? You can tell if you are by going to the admin area of your site whilst you are logged in.

You will see a message in a yellow bar at the top of the admin pages that says

You are logged in as a Membership Admin user, you will therefore see all protected content on this site.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Ok, Are you seeing the shortcodes on the browser you are not logged in on? Can you give me an example of the protected content you are seeing that you shouldn’t be?

I am testing on TWO browsers as I already explained. One I am logged in as admin and one I am not logged in at all.

Sorry, I saw no mention of you testing whilst logged out above – hence my question. The shortcodes *will* be displayed whilst you are logged in as a membership admin user – this is by design and the warning at the top of every admin page is there as a gentle reminder of that.

What title have you given one of the levels that you are seeing content for? What is the generated shortcode for it in your system?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

[level-premium]

content

[not-level-premium]

Ah I see – you’ve got the shortcodes set up wrong there – it should be

[level-premium]
    content
    [/level-premium]

The not- shortcode is so that you can wrap content that you don’t want a specific level to see e.g.

[not-level-premium]
    content
    [/not-level-premium]

• PlanetWaves
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

ah ok. i just went by the short codes that showed up next to the levels.

one other question, how does it work if there is more than one level that can see that content. does the plugin know that the next level, in this case “all-access” includes the permissions for “premium” or do need a need to add another short code around that same block for the other level?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

i just went by the short codes that showed up next to the levels.

That bit shows both available, if you hover your mouse over the blue i in the title it shows an example of how to use it – or have a nose through our jazzy manual and it goes in to this in a bit more depth.

how does it work if there is more than one level that can see that content. does the plugin know that the next level, in this case “all-access” includes the permissions for “premium” or do need a need to add another short code around that same block for the other level?

No, there is no concept of “this level is better than x” in the plugin at the moment. Depending on how you many levels you have and the content you could do something like the following:

Levels – visitor, bronze, premium

If you have some content you only want bronze and premium levels to see, then wrap it in the [not-level-visitor] shortcode, so it’s visible to everyone except the visitors level, then any extra premium only content is wrapped in the [level-premium] shortcode.

• PlanetWaves

I did read the manual quite thoroughly actually but some of the screenshots don’t match up with the interface as it is now so I wasn’t sure on the short codes if the syntax had changed.

so the basic question is whether the short codes can be nested. in other words:

[level-premium]

[level-all-access]

content

[/level-all-access]

[/level-premium]

would this allow the content be viewable in both levels? there are four levels in the site so just excluding one isn’t the solution.

• PlanetWaves

well then what is the solution? i have 4 levels: visitors, free, premium and all access.

all access can see everything that the other levels see and premium can see some of there others, etc.

do i just repeat the content under other short codes?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings PlanetWaves,

Considering the lead developers input, it appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn’t resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.