Shortcodes on Custom taxonomies not working.

I used a shortcode of a custom taxonomy on a page but it’s not working! I don’t see anything in the page. I use BP Social theme and all latest versions.

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

Hi Vinay,

Any progress?

I see that your ling takes you to the front page of your site. Is that a WordPress page? I hope so, because shortcodes will only work on Pages and Posts. What is the shortcode that you put in? And are you sure there is some data in the taxonomy?

Cheers,

Paul

• vinay_sagar
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Paul,

I used the shortcode that the plugin actually gave which is something like this.

“[tax id="articles" before="your text before: " separator=", " after=" your text after"]“

And it’s a Buddypress theme. The theme asks you to login showing that front page kind of header. You can still watch the whole site without logging in but you’ll see that header asking you to log in. And yes, i have a post in that taxonomy which is not showing up.

Thanks for asking.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

If your taxonomy is named “articles”, what post type is it associated with? Taxonomies by themselves do nothing. They have to be attached to a post type to do anything.

What a taxonomy tag would put out is a list of taxonomy items associated with the current Post. The bare shortcode on a page by itself would not have any Post and would return nothing. It’s only good within the loop when a current post is available.

Taxonomies appear the way categories and tags appear on a post, usually as comma separated list of items. For example taxonomy “shoe_color” “red, green, brown, back” attached to a post type of “shoe”. Then when you display a “shoe” you can display the “shoe_color” associated with it.

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

Hi Vinay,

Thanks for the input. My feeling is that we have categories that are too broad in the taxonomy. You could explain what you’ve set up and the expected output, going into some detail for each. We can try to troubleshoot that way.

Another thought might be to start off with some test data that is far more specific than ‘articles.’ That is, let’s choose something more concrete like Arnold, the developer, suggested. How about creating a taxonomy called ‘Vault Types’ with values such as ‘Speed,’ ‘Kong,’ ‘Dash,’ ‘Pop,’ and ‘Turn.’ Then, and perhaps this is the part that is currently missing, you’ll need to write articles for each, actually several for each, and each of those articles would have a Vault Type associated with it.

When viewing a specific post about, say, ‘Kong,’ you might have that custom taxonomy displayed so that a reader could click on it and see all of the other posts written under the Kong taxonomy.

For a more visual explanation, consult our demo site that we created at:

http://custompress.co/

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hello, hope you’re well!

How’s things going now, we haven’t heard from you in a short while and as such he thread became marked as “Resolved”.

If you’re still in need any help then please feel free to reopen or create a new thread as needed for any issues.

Cheers.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.