Should I 'bump' a question?

I have a question that is a day old in response - I was thinking of bumping it by posting to it...

But I've read on other threads that this actually resets the response time and so it's better not to...

If this is true - what is the best way to ask the status of something?

If this is not true, I guess I'll go bump my thread :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• aecnu

Greetings Sandor,

Indeed it is true and that bumping a ticket changes its aging which then in turn changes the response time due to the tickets are fed to us in aging order.

On a side note, as WPMU DEV had three folks leave us and four more hired it may take a bit for them to get things together and help deal with the load and of course some more then others.

Thank you for you patience and someone should be with you in your ticket shortly.

Cheers, Joe

• Rick

I am confused about the response on aging tickets. How does an initial ticket for support get set back when there is a response or bump behind it? If this were true, then the originator of the ticket would get penalized if a third party were to respond. As an example of a third party responding: "I am also having that same problem."

ref: "it is true and that bumping a ticket changes its aging which then in turn changes the response time due to the tickets are fed to us in aging order."

• aecnu

Greetings Rick,

Thank you for the great question and indeed this is absolutely true and it happens i.e. How does an initial ticket for support get set back when there is a response or bump behind it? If this were true, then the originator of the ticket would get penalized if a third party were to respond. As an example of a third party responding: "I am also having that same problem."

But it also works when the response is a valid answer as well.

Many time members help other members before support gets to see the ticket or back to the ticket.

However, don't shoot me, I am just the piano player and did not make the piano nor the ticket system ... lol

But I have indeed told the truth as to how it actually works and I am not a coder to offer them any coding to change it in any way.

The system has been this way since I joined WPMU DEV as a member before more then two years ago and therefore cannot comment on anything prior to that time.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member and have a GREAT upcoming weekend!

Cheers, Joe

• Rick

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your response and understand you are not the author of the script.

The script should allow the support ticket (or forum post) to stay in place until and only until the ticket has a status of "Not Resolved." Having lost a few of your support staff does unfortunately compound the penalty.

You state, "Many time members help other members before support gets to see the ticket or back to the ticket." And that is fine and dandy, however why have the option to check or to leave unchecked the "Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)"

So may I ask, what function is checking of leaving the ticket unresolved, if the original author gets placed in back of the line if a bump or a response that does not provide a solution?

I do realize you have no control over the script, however in the interest of making this community even a better place, why not escalate those tickets which have come in early and have not been resolved. Does the script not sort post on: original_post_date+unresolved? Those with the early dates and that are unresolved would get priority response.

• aecnu

Greetings Rick,

Thank you for your feedback and I have indeed thought long and hard about this topic and have come to the conclusion that the way the system currently exists is based on a first come first serve idea with the only priority being that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

I cannot think of a better way to handle these tickets then the way they are already fed to us with the possible exception of making other member posts not relative to aging.

Other then that, I cannot think of a way to possibly improve the system and it is indeed tricky when you have support staff like myself that respond to 60+ tickets average daily and those who do not.

In any event, I found there is no way except "the needs of the many" to fairly prioritize tickets other then aging due to what makes one persons issue or item more important then another?

And I cannot think of a legitimate answer and that is the million dollar question.

Thank you again for your feedback which is genuinely appreciated.

Cheers, Joe

• Andy42

I agree, this method of ticket aging is not optimum.
    I think I can offer a solution to this from a help desk service perspective.

The forum aspect of aging should stay as it is. so no re-write of the forum code...
    But support staff should be addressing the oldest tickets first... so a solution would be to write a custom report for support staff that excludes member posts as a criteria.

Support staff would then be addressing tickets on a first come first serve basis, and where members have already answered the question they can quickly ask if the issue is resolved and move on to the next ticket.

• Andy42

Greetings Aecnu,

Thank you for your response.

I am wondering if you mean that the suggestion I had for report/view for support staff that excludes member posts as a criteria when aging the last response is already in place.

If that is the case then a member bumping their post will not change where the post is in the queue... it would not help or harm them. because only staff responses would be considered for the age of a post...

Is that how it works?

:slight_smile: Andy42

• Andy42

Maybe I understand.. Maybe not..

Are you saying that the ticket are fed to you based on the age of the ticket no matter if there are responses or not UNTIL the first staff member responds... and then after the first staff member responds that the aging is reset by any comment from anyone?

So a new ticket with members responding is still a new ticket and gets attention, but once a ticket has one Staff response,.. members posting responses are pushing the ticket to a lower status, and delaying staff response time?

• aecnu

Greetings Andy42,

Thank you for the additional question and clarification.

So a new ticket with members responding is still a new ticket and gets attention, but once a ticket has one Staff response,.. members posting responses are pushing the ticket to a lower status, and delaying staff response time?

That is indeed an accurate spot on description though there is something very important missing from the equation - the fact that other seasoned members resolve the tickets a large percentage of the time without staff response or with minimal staff response.

I.E. The ticket comes in, the member is waiting and another member answers with the right answer ~or~ the submitting member sees the cure to the item themselves while they wait for a response from anybody ~or~ the staff responds digging into the ticket asking relative questions - the originating member answers with the relative questions i.e. multisite or not, BuddyPress or not etc. etc. and a completely different member sees the answer and resolves the ticket for the originator.

And there are certainly other possibilities I have not included nor thought of I am sure.

Then add into the mix that - at this very moment - I just checked - 1561 tickets awaiting a response from the originating member ... lol

Thanks again for the clarification and indeed it is a complex system and we are always working to improve it - more changes coming soon.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.