Should I choose a WPMU DEV template over the one I've recently purchased?

Hi there,

I'm new to WPMU DEV and almost as new to WordPress and BuddyPress.

I have extremely ambitious plans to build a not-for-profit/nonprofit website for Australian organisations that may grow to 5,000,000+ members.

I want a great template that will work for both WordPress and BuddyPress and am now concerned that if I go with the Templatemonster template I've purchased I might regret it further down the track.

So, as I'm yet to install that template, should I hold off and choose a WPMU DEV template instead?

Thanks.

• DiggiWebDesign
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Which template did you purchase? Can you link us to it?

Such features you desire from WPMU DEV plugins etc..may or may not not be compatible with the template, especially if you plan to use BuddyPress. That is why there are so many themes available to you, as they are designed for these things specifically. Any theme could be 'coded' to do whatever, but to be rational most are built for 'this or that' and there are many templates already built to handle Buddypress available to you as a member.

I would start with what you own as a member to avoid the need of further customization of the template you bought.
    What license did you purchase with the template? These answers can help staff with your questions once they arrive.

5,000,000+ members?
    What is your domain name?
    What kind of non-profit services will you provide?
    We all want to know what the big site is going to be about, care to fill us in?

BTW, I'm just a fellow member, staff will reply asap, they come around as fast as they can!

• MichaelScott
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks for your input and advice.

It sounds like it would be best to hold off on using the Templatemonster as, after checking with the site, they do not warrant the performance of the template in regards to plugins ... so I might chalk that decision up to inexperience.

Now I'll have to choose a new WordPress/BuddyPress theme.

Thanks again for your input.

• Elliott Bristow
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey @MichaelScott

Welcome to the forums!

Since you're already a full member here, it can't hurt to try some of the themes we have to offer... after all, they are free for you to use... heck download them all if you want!

You've not specified what kind of site you are looking to produce so it's hard to recommend a specific theme you could use... but we certainly have a few that work well with BP.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @MichaelScott

I hope you are well today.
    You can find all our themes here https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/category/themes/
    It's also worth taking a look at themeforest BuddyPress templates here http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress/buddypress Just make sure you take a look at the license options as if your using a WordPress mutlisite install and offering websites to your members/users using that, you'd need that expensive license :slight_smile:

What sort of hosting are you planning on for the site, as that's another thing to consider, will it be able to cope, will it be quick, can it be optimized?

@iBlogNation Thanks for the awesome help, some points coming your way :slight_smile:

Thank you both for being WPMU DEV members!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.