Should I expect help for Non-WPMU Dev themes ?

Dear WPMU Dev

I have a yearly membership. Should I still expect dashboard level and coding level help if my website is running a different theme than the 6 official ones we can pick from ? For example a unique personal theme outside of WPMU ? My website would still be listed in my WPMU Dev account.

As a lower level question, would you help me out If I bricked my website, and investigate the code accordingly, or if I'm stuck with a line of code that is breaking my header for example ? Just trying to set expectations with support given my level of membership and the fact I'd be running different themes.

Thank you

Thanks,

Sebastian

• Huzaifah

I hope i can chime in on this...

Yes they will. Many times now, have i received help for theme issues (3rd party theme might i add) and Adam or Rupok, or many of the other support ninjas would log into my site, and help me out.

One developer even went out of his way to create a custom template for me, and code some plugin dependancies into it as my theme could not handle it!

The WPMUDEV membership is by far the best investment i have ever made in my life.

• Luís

Hi Sebastien ,

Hope you're doing well today!

We always try to help in all issues/questions, no matter if is a 3rd party theme/plugin or even custom development.

However, sometimes it can cost us a huge amount of time and we need to suggest other options:

1) Custom development -> If is a feature that involves a lot of custom coding and time to achieve the requirements, we can suggest to use our Jobs Board to try find a skilled developer;

2) 3rd party theme or plugin -> Some conflicts/errors can be caused by 3rd party theme or plugin and sometimes contact their developers is a better option, because they know better the code involved, and can be better prepared to help you.

However, as I said before, we always try to help, so, you can always use our Support or Members Forums to look for help/suggestions for your website.

So how does this work in practice ? First you click "support access" in the dashboard, then you go the forums and post about your problem and give them an access key somehow ?

Clicking in the "grant support access" button, located in your WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin (Dashboard -> Support) already give us access to the admin panel of that site, you don't need "access key".

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

• Sebastien

Thanks for this helpful reply Luis, I look forward to reading your posts here.

I'm still not quite clear how the process works though ?

Do I create a thread here, like "www.mywebsite.com is bricked - need help to find broken code"

And then click the grant support access button in my dashboard, and tell you that I did it.

This would make *all* my support requests and my personal website issues public ? Is there a way to keep the URLs private at least ?

But if so, would support still see the URL to help me out ?

Thanks a bunch,

Sebastien

• Luís

Hi Sebastien ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Do I create a thread here, like "www.mywebsite.com is bricked - need help to find broken code"

And then click the grant support access button in my dashboard, and tell you that I did it.

Yes, you can follow that process, create a topic with the description of your issue,
    adding information as much as possible and then, enable the Support Access. If you have more than one website registered in WPMUDEV Hub (especially if you have multiple topics and the Support Access enabled in them), refering the website in question will be good, because the staff won't loose time in finding it.

WPMUDEV Community Forum have public visibility, so, all your questions will be public and if you share URL's, they will be indexed by Google (as an example), however I can suggest to "mask" the URL using Google Shortener, to avoid it:

https://goo.gl/

Even the Forum being public, when you enable the Staff Access, only the Support Staff will have access to the admin dashboard.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.