Should I keep my Wordpress site or start over?

Hi, I am looking to improve my ranking in Google. I am torn whether to "upgrade" my existing site (904divorce.com) or start over from scratch with a new site and new name. Whichever way I go I want to maintain the site to be SEO friendly. I fear that part of my problem is that I didn't set up the existing site in that way. Any thoughts would be appreciate. Thank you for your time! Steve

• Ivan
    • HummingBird

Hey Leitman,

Thanks for the question and welcome to the WPMU DEV Community!

Usually it is better to use your existing domain if it was having good SEO ranking, or just because it is old domain. And as far as I know search engines prefer old domains than new ones.

If you don't like the name or the site - change it. Just don't run the same content on two or more different domain names.

And in the end it's up to you.

Thanks,
    Ivan

• Jorge Castro
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hello!

As Ivan said, Google ranking likes more old domains, as long as they can been seen correctly by Google.

The first thing I would do is to install Google Webmaster tools in your webpage to see how Google is seeing your site and then take decisions from there.

Also remember to check what URLs are indexed by Google and be sure to redirect them to the new ones to maintain their ranking. You can do some 301 redirects on your htaccess file and they would do the trick: Sample

Hope it helps! :slight_smile:

• Andrea
    • New Recruit

leitman, What do you not like about your current site? Is it the look, the content, the file setup, the url?
    My advise would vary depending on what you don't like.

I knew someone that was so frustrated with their current site they made the choice to switch to a new host and just point the url to the new host and started fresh by not transferring anything over from the old host.

I have known other people that just needed to purchase multiple url's to park and then re-direct to their home site.

In my opinion you can choose to "upgrade" or "start over" with your current site so it just depends on if you like your current url.

• Steve
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Leitman, i am no expert but I believe your site just needs to be modernised. Throw a new theme on it, remove a lot of the text and make it look appealing to the current audience as most people these days want the full story in 140 characters.

As I said, I am no expert but just my humble opinion. Steve

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.