Should I keep UpdraftPlus and SnapshotPro both activated and running simultaneously?

I asked this question earlier: "Do I just activate SnapshotPro and then, when its running, deactivate Updraft?"

Adam responded with this: "Actually, I suppose both these plugins could run at the same time as long as they use separate destinations (e.g. separate Google projects are created for Google Drive destination). Other than this, you could either setup SnapShot and then deactivate Updraft or deactivate Updraft and than setup Snapshot. In order to avoid any potential plugin/backup destination conflict personally I'd go the latter way."

NEW QUESTION: I have Updraft set to deliver backups to DropBox, so where does SnapshotPro place the backups?

NEW QUESTION: Should I keep both running and have redundant backups, or should I deactivate Updraft?

• Nastia

Hello neal_umphred

Thank you for your questions!

Where does SnapshotPro place the backups?

The Snapshot can store the files locally inside the /wp-content/uploads/snapshots/ directory. And you can select to store the backup to a remote system like Amazon S3, Dropbox, Google Drive or SFTP.

Should I keep both running and have redundant backups, or should I deactivate Updraft?

As Adam Czajczyk has pointed out, you can keep both plugins activated as long you are using saparate destinations. You can try to deactivate for a while the Updraft plugin and test the Snapshot only. If you are satisfied with one plugin more than with other, you can leave only one plugin activated.

Let us know if you require any further information!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• neal_umphred

NASTIA

Thanks for the response. Know that I know little technically and am baffled easily.

That said, Snapshot Pro states, "This folder will be created inside your site's media upload folder. . /wp-content/uploads/snapshots."

I renamed the folder, so it is now currently: /home8/nealumph/public_html/wp-content/uploads/WPMU Snapshot/

Does this mean that it is stored in my files and the only way to access it is to enter the forbidden world of code? If so, then it's useless to me as I am afraid of doing anything with code!

How do I set Snapshot Pro to post to DropBox?

Thanks,

NEAL

• Panos

Hello neal_umphred ,

I would first like to explain that there is no coding required to access your backup files even when stored on your server.

You can restore your backup from your admin by visiting your Admin menu > Snapshots and then from each snapshot item you can click on the "restore" option. In case you need to export a backup, all you need to do is visit the folder Nastia mentioned (actually the one you renamed :slight_smile: ) and download the backup file to your computer.

Backups are great and necessary (so you can restore after something goes wrong with an update or being hacked ) but they might consume allot of space. So if you are keeping daily/weekly backups, you can choose to store them in a remote location like Dropbox.

Now that we are done with the intro lets see how you can store your backups on Dropbox with steps:

1. First create an account at Dropbox

2. Navigate to your site's Admin menu > Destinations and click on the "Add New" button next to "Dropbox" option:

3. Then insert a name so you recognize the backup and click save:

4. Log in to Dropbox (if asked to):

5. Click at the "Allow" button to grant access:

6. After clicking "Allow" you will be returned back to your site's admin page. Make sure you click on the save button again.

That's it :slight_smile: Now you can store backups on Dropbox by choosing dropbox in the "Backup Destination" field when creating a New Snapshot:

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
    Panos