Should I port my current Membership site to Membership 2

I don't know why "Select an Installed Product" doesn't show my current Membership installation.

In any case, I spent a lot of time learning and creating that site and now I see there's something new. My guess is, I can't just install it and have my current membership files working with that new version.

And so what should I do?
My thought would be to install in in another folder and recreate it, but when I go to install Membership 2, it just says it can't because there already is a Membership folder and doesn't offer the option of installing it elsewhere.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @brightfuture333,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

I don't know why "Select an Installed Product" doesn't show my current Membership installation.

It only lists the products which are installed in your current site and also it doesn't display the Membership plugin as it's now replaced by Membership 2 Pro plugin.

I have selected the Membership 2 Pro plugin as an associated project for this topic.

The Membership 2 Pro plugin is the completely new enhanced version of Membership and Protected Content plugins which has replaced both these plugins so you can't use the Membership 2 Pro plugin with the older version of Membership plugin but you have to replace it.

when I go to install Membership 2, it just says it can't because there already is a Membership folder and doesn't offer the option of installing it elsewhere.

Yes this is because as described above the new plugin replaces the older plugin and have the same plugin directory therefore you have to upgrade it.

You can install the new Membership 2 Pro plugin on your development site to test it and after testing you can update it on your production site.

With the latest old Membership plugin installed, you’ll see a notice in “Membership” >> settings to update it, you’ll have to also have the WPMU DEV dashboard installed. That will unlock the update and then you’ll be able to use the migration wizard to update the plugin.

Find more information about Membership 2 Pro plugin on the following page.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/introducing-membership-2/

Before upgradation i recommend you to take back up of your site using the following Snapshot plugin so that if anything goes wrong then we can recover it.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/#product-usage

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.