Should I reduce file size of very large images before uploading?

Hi - I have been told that I can upload my website banner images of 1920x600 px (original 1 MB size) and not to worry about it because Smush will take care of reducing the file size. But since Smush only reduces by some percentage, I am wondering if I should first use Gimp (actually I have Photoscape, does this work well?) to first reduce the file size a bit from the original, to something like 200kb. I have to crop the image first anyway, so I am already in the photo editing software. What do you recommend? Should I upload a non-reduced image of 1 MB? Or should I upload a reduced image of 200kb? What is the best way to achieve maximum image quality and fastest load time? What is the recommended max size (in kb) for a full width banner image on a page? I have these at the top of all my pages. Thank you!

• Ash

Hello Tamara

If you are familiar with Photoshop, you can reduce file size using photoshop. But instead of cropping, rather follow the instruction below:
    1. Open the image in Photoshop
    2. Go to File > Save for web & devices (it may vary in version to version) (shortcut: Ctrl + Alt + Shift + S in windows and Cmd + Alt + Shift + S in mac)
    3. Set quality 60 (60 is good quality for web unless you have a stock photo site)
    4. Save as JPG

That should reduce lots of size but maintain the quality as best. Also, note that, PNG images are bigger than JPG, so for big images go for JPG and for small images go for PNG to have better quality :slight_smile:

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.