Should I use BuddyPress or Membership2Pro?

Hi,

I just installed WPMUDEV and am both very impressed. You all have created something special.

Now here's my question: I want to create a Facebook-like social networking site that has all the FB features, plus more. I see most (maybe all) of the additional features I want at WPMUDEV but am not sure whether I should use BuddyPress for the social networking or Membership2Pro?

Thanks for your help.

Mac

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mac,

Hope you're doing well today and welcome to the WPMU DEV Community!

I would recommend using BuddyPress for the social network setup. That is exactly what it's designed for and does a great job at it. Majority of our plugins are fully compatible with BuddyPress as well, that includes Membership2 :slight_smile:

So you can use Membership2 to protect content as needed or restrict access to certain areas of your site. We have a Membership2 add-on specifically for BuddyPress so you can restrict actions such as friend requests, group creation, private messaging, etc.

I've attached some screenshots to illustrate.

If you plan on providing your users their own sites within the network then you will want to check out Pro Sites too. We just released a major update to it that re-designed the checkout so users can pay during site registration too :slight_smile: or you can let them grab a free site then charge for upgrades.

Hope that helps!

Let us know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.