Should I use child themes on a multisite install?

I am always been a big fan of using child themes on wordpress single site installs. It makes theme updates safe most of the time. But I have never tried it in a multisite install. I read somewhere that the use of child themes in a multisite install is a resource-hog and is not advisable. But on the other hand, using child themes on your multisite install does guarantee relatively safe updates of your themes without affecting any custom css on your users’ sites.

Any thoughts about this?

And one more thing, would you guys recommend using on-click child theme plugin in making child themes? It seems to do the job very well and easy but I haven’t really tried it.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey there,

If you are looking at planning to edit your themes and have your own stuff, then its always advised to have child themes, even on multisites. On a multisite the parent theme doesn’t have to be network activated, it just has to exist on the server.

Am not entirely sure, but its logical to think that child themes would use a bit more server resources, but unless your multisite network is too huge (say 1000 blogs are more) and is on a decent serve, I don’t think it would matter at all. Given the benefits of easier and safer updates, I would still go for the child themes myself.

I have never tried the One Click child Theme plugin, but based on the reviews and the reputation of the developer (did some looking around), it should be a good one. All our themes come with child themes in the /themes/ folder in the download, so you do not need this plugin with ours anyway.

Its not so hard to create a child theme, refer this: http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes . If you follow that you can skip the plugin.

Good luck!

• supergoyong
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Arun! It’s just less than 100 blogs for now since the site is just two weeks old.

I have created child themes myself but the plugin is just very attractive since it makes the creation of child theme very fast.

Thanks again!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.