Show all events on calendar, even if expired?

I've got a calendar generated by [eab_calendar] on my home page. By the end of the month, the calendar is bare and boring because all the expired events have dropped off. Is there any way to make it show all the events for the month, even if they are expired? I would rather have users think "dang, I missed that event last week," than "shoot, these people never do anything." :slight_smile:

I've tried using the date= argument, but it just sets the calendar to that date instead of displaying the current month.

Example is here: http://beta.nrocnetwork.org - scroll down a bit. It's Sept 1 now, so you have to go back to the Aug calendar to see how boring it was yesterday :wink: The Sept calendar will get more and more boring and blank as the month goes on.

Thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Kalico,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The Events+ calendar should by default be showing past events as well in default configuration.

I checked your site and noticed that the "Immediately expire past events" Events+ add-on is enabled though there. Without it, past events are available in events archive but users are just not able to RSVP/attend. With that add-on however those events are being removed from archive so they are no longer available.

Disabling that add-on should made any "new past" (those that will pass from the moment of disabling it) events stay in events archive and as a result in calendar as well.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dimitris

Hello kalico,

hope you're doing great and don't mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

From Events -> Settings -> Add-ons you can read that

Immediately expire past events: By default, your past events will be archived. Activating this add-on will immediately expire all your archived events.

So instead of using the [eab__expired] shortcode to display past events, you can simply use the [eab_archive] shortcode (Events -> Shortcodes) with some extra attributes.

One approach would be to use the "relative_date". Something like the following shortcode will display previous month's events.
    [eab_archive relative_date ="-1 month"]

Another way could be to manually set a new category in archived events and use the "category" or "categories" attribute.

Hope that helps,
    Dimitris :slight_smile:

• kalico

Hi Dimitris Thanks for the input. I actually tried both of those approaches before settling on expiring events. The relative date never worked properly (I made about a zillion bug reports on Events+ and that one was the least of my problems, so I didn't make a big deal of it). The category thing isn't practical, as we would have to change the category after the event (unless you meant something else). We want this to be automatic -- once the event is over, the event will display in a list of past events without any intervention on the part of our staff.

I'm pretty sure we're stuck with [eab_expired] unless we can find a way to make the archive shortcode show ONLY past events in a particular category, not future ones. And it has to be able to show ONLY future events as well, because we show those in a different place on the site.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

• Dimitris

Hey there kalico,

hope you're having a beautiful day! :slight_smile:

The relative date never worked properly (I made about a zillion bug reports on Events+ and that one was the least of my problems, so I didn't make a big deal of it).

Is there a specific setting you need to use? If you could please point me to what you're trying I can also try this for you. Also a link to other related threads can be useful. :slight_smile:

The category thing isn't practical, as we would have to change the category after the event (unless you meant something else). We want this to be automatic -- once the event is over, the event will display in a list of past events without any intervention on the part of our staff.

This can be made either manually or with some custom coding. You should use the wp_set_object_terms() somewhere after /wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/lib/plugins/eab-events-expire_past_events.php line#44 I guess for the "expire past events" addon.
    You can use our Jobs&Pros to find a developer for that if this is too much for you (no WPMU DEV staff involved there).

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• kalico

Hi Dimitris Thanks for the suggestions. As I understand it, the bottom line is that I can't have it both ways (short of custom coding it). If I expire events immediately, then they will drop off the calendar. If I don't, then I lose the ability to have lists that immediately show an event as soon as it is over. I need to discuss these options with my manager and decide what the value is in each option.

I appreciate the offer to look into the relative date problem, but I will make that a separate thread if needed. I found ways to get on without that functionality that are working for now, and I don't really want to upset the apple cart at this point.

Thanks for the feedback and info. :slight_smile:

• Dimitris

Hey there kalico,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

As I understand it, the bottom line is that I can't have it both ways (short of custom coding it). If I expire events immediately, then they will drop off the calendar. If I don't, then I lose the ability to have lists that immediately show an event as soon as it is over. I need to discuss these options with my manager and decide what the value is in each option.

Another approach could be with some navigation I guess. Having a link inside future events calendar pointing to expired calendar and another link the other way round.

I appreciate the offer to look into the relative date problem, but I will make that a separate thread if needed. I found ways to get on without that functionality that are working for now, and I don't really want to upset the apple cart at this point.

Whatever you decide, create a new thread if issues are emerging and we'll keep up from there. :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.