Show information only to specific members?

Is it possible for specific members to be given access to specific information.

I'm trying to set up a system where one member can give access to another member. For example, if a user uploads a video, they can select which other members have access to that video.

If this isn't possible with the Membership plugin, is there another plugin that would do a better job?

• aecnu

Greetings Joe,

The Membership plugin is about the most versatile plugin that I have ever seen for protecting content though admitting it takes a bit for one to get their head wrapped around it and how it works.

However, members giving members access to member submitted content is way out there - with one possible exception, they protect the video page with something like Password Protect plugin if it will indeed integrate without any conflicts which is unknown at this time.

Please advise if in fact this works or not.

Cheers, Joe

• Atlanta

Hi Joe, Yes you can definitely do it with membership plugin.

I use membership plugin by site installed to give access to different sets of network members. I set it up so that each member is a stranger to other members content. Then they send free connection requests using membership text widgets. Once the admin receives the request he reviews the user's profile using user meta plugin so that members don't have to fill out the same profile form over and over again... which would be zzzz boring. Then the subsite admin can approve or deny the connection request. Once the connection request is approved then the user has access to the content.
    I use widget logic and multisite privacy plugins to keep non network users out.
    Then since membership was a monster to set up I use new blog template to set up the basic levels for my admins and easy blogging to hide all the not so pretty stuff:slight_smile:

• digitsoft

I thought this was interesting, so I tried something and I think it gets you there - with a little more work.

1. Install this plugin: ShortCodes UI :http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/shortcodes-ui/
    2. Create an advanced shortcode and use php code like this (at the very bottom in the admin console):

global $current_user;
    get_currentuserinfo();
    $user = $current_user->user_login;
    $shortuser = extract(shortcode_atts(array('theuser' => 'admin'), $atts));
    if ($shortuser==$user)
    {
    echo 'Matched';
    }
    else
    {
    echo 'Didnt match. Username was '.$user;
    }

NOTE - do not include the opening and closing php tags

3. My shortcode tag was "level", so here's what I put in my test page:
    [level theuser="rob"]

So basically if the shortcode user matches the currently logged in user, then it displays "Matched. If not, it says so and displays the username.

Hope this helps....

Rob

• aecnu

Greetings Joe, Atlanta, and Rob!

Wow for some reason I did not have my head wrapped around sub sites and was thinking one site for some unknown reason.

What great possible solutions from everyone I must say!

@Atlanta and Rob some rep points sent your way for your dynamite contributions to WPMU Dev forums and helping other members

@Joe there you have it, several options depending on which way you choose to go.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.