show media url

is there a way to show the url of a media item in the edit media page? you can view it, go to the post it creates, click on the item, and the copy the url from browser. Cumbersome for most of my users – seems like there must be a simple way and I feel like I am missing it.

thanks

chris

• Gail Soriano
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

right – clicking the view link takes you to a post each media item creates, then you have to click the item to show the url in browser, copy that and then you have the info needed. Is that the only way?

In the old upload section the url was listed which helped when you are in need of an item url to add to a category in the links section. Not sure why this went away.

thanks

chris

• Sue
    • Recruit

If you click on Edit, the thumbnail of the image or the title of the image it takes you to the Edit media screen for that image where you will find the File URL for that image (or media) at the bottom of the page.

That is the fastest way of locating the url of a media item.

But I don’t think it is that the obvious because you would assume that View is the way to go (which is why I’m forever forgetting and clicking View).

• Gail Soriano

thanks Sue – as I look at one of my sites that is in 2.8.4a that is true – but our main installation at school is still on 2.7.1 and does not have the url(attached pic) – wonder if I could just grab that page from 2.84a and throw it in my 2.7.1 install – or the code at least?

I’d upgrade but with school starting we try to make no changes so the school year starts off smoothly.

thanks

chris

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi Chris, the slight variations between these different versions is frustrating and other words I can think of. I forgot that 2.7 was annoying that way while with 2.8 it’s been addressed. It is better to discuss upgrade options with Andrew,

Do you find many of your users want to locate the file URL using the media library? I don’t get many Edublogs or Campus users asking about it and personally think that only the more advanced users would look for the file URL — and their skills are such that they would quickly locate.

• Gail Soriano

Thank Sue – often we upload documents that we want to put as links in blogroll. For example this page under Marie Murphy Documents, School District Documents etc:

http://avoca37.org/parentsandcommunity/

Most often this is a secretary without great tech skills and asking them to click through as described above doesn’t make me the most popular boy on campus :slight_smile:

Going to look at this later but I doubt it’s that tricky to just add the URL section of that page from 2.8.4a to 2.7.1.

thanks

chris

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi Chris, I see what you mean. Most of our users normally use pages for their documents and wouldn’t have even thought to use links. Definitely handy in the sidebar. If you give them some chocolate that might help your popularity.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.