Show recent posts in newsletter

I'd like the newsletters that I send to show the most recent posts, either a list, or title and excerpt.
I tried using query posts in the content of the newsletter but that didn't do it. I don't know enough about this to understand why. Is it possible to run a second loop there? Is there a massively simpler way of accomplishing this?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Josh,

Thank you for these great questions in which I admit that I do not know the answer to them.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight to get his advice/advise for us concerning your two questions.

Though it may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, i will try to get him in here asap.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi @josh_pollock

Just quickly checking in to let you know that we haven't forgotten about you. I believe the Developer is working hard on some improvements and hence haven't been in touch yet. I will ping him again to see if he can give you feedback regarding this matter.

Have a good day and talk soon again.

Gina

• Cole
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey everyone,

So this isn't possible without some custom code. There would need to be two things done.

First is write a function to output the list of recent posts.

Second we need to create a template variable that will get replaced with the recent posts list function.

It would take some time to write something up for here but if there are any additional +1s for this? I could possibly get it included into a new release.

• scot
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I think i figured a way around this... I added a tinyMCE plugin... which allows an iframe. I then put my most recent post page in the link and it worked brilliantly. Additionally... This will auto update... but not auto send yet... but that is only a few clicks...

I checked it on webmail. gmail, Thunderbird, Outlook and yahoo mail. and it worked on all of them.

I just have some layout issues.. I think i will build a page just for newsletters.. You can easily add "having trouble view this email.. view it online. it is a simple link.

I do feel this sort of "garbage in garbage out" or not good form in general. I mean it works but i have never taken a computer class in my life so i feel that if i solved this issue it is probably not done correctly. I would like some feed back or input as to any issues I could possibly run into utilizing this method? or any additional ideas.

If anyone is intere3sted i can provide screen shots on how i did it... or even send you a sample emal and you can see it for your self.

Respectfully, Scot

Off topic... here are other posts with the same request.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/events-and-newsletters#post-262637

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/can-i-send-a-blog-post-as-newsletter

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings scot,

Great work around and thank you for sharing this with other members of the WPMU Dev Community, it is certainly appreciated.

Hopefully in the future our lead developer Cole will code this in as well.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• scot
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I am struggling with the Iframe solution. how would one go about adding an rss feed to the template. this would be recent news perfect for a newsletter. simple template too. can that be done in email? i dont know where to start.

the problem is this. on a multisite the template needs to be non specific to the user. as different users offer different stuff but if one tempalte was latest posts that would be brilliant. that way site one could hit send and site two could hit send and it is simply latest post... that is why i am thinking rss feeds now. i am not sure how many email programs or mobile devices can read iframes. although it has been working for most of my emails. not on my window phone though...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.