showcase theme not showing slide pictures

I am trying to set up a blog with a showcase theme but cannot get the slide pictures to show. What am I doing wrong? Flash is installed and an online demo is working. However my slides are not showing. I am getting the impression that the theme is not able to find the picture files somehow (not even the defaults).

• Kimberly

Hi MdW

I've installed a the Showcase theme on a test site to see if I can help you figure out what's happening here :slight_smile:

I used the Showcase Menu on the Dashboard

Then using the 3D slider Menu you input your images here.
    You'll need to copy the directory into the 'Images Location' field. Something like this:
    http://domain.comwp-content/uploads/

Then the individual images will require the unique bits, like this:
    2011/10/san-diego.jpg

The way to find this information is to go to your Media and click the edit or view link for that image. It will give you the full link to the image. You'll then separate the URL as I have above.

Please let me know if you need anything more!

Best,

Kimberly

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

• MdW

Hi Kimberly,

This is exactly what I did.
    Based on your email I tried again using several different urls.
    I just don't get it to work for me.

It must be something simple I am overlooking.
    I added a picture of what I am seeing instead of the pictures.

Also it says that if you leave the url empty it will locate the images in the theme images folder.
    No matter what, I always see the attached picture.

Mark.

• MdW

Kimberly,

I also tried entering some portfolio posts/items. These are also not found when I input the portfolio page url. Do you have any idea what is going wrong here? I tried reinstalling the theme, no luck. Is there a way that you know of to check if the theme is installed properly and maybe how to repair this?

As a next step I will try to install it on a new wordpress install (not multisite) to see what happens then.

Mark.

• Kimberly

Mark,

If you're not sure then I will venture to guess that you don't have any :slight_smile:

I'm doing some digging....playing around with this on a test site

Are you using the media uploader? I'm thinking it's an issue with the photo locations maybe?
    Are you creating a new folder for images?

Are you referencing the actual url from the media uploader to split the url for the settings?

Have you filled in ALL four of the fields?

Sorry if I'm rambling...it's late and I'm talking to myself :slight_smile:

• MdW

Are you using the media uploader?
    yes, there is no media uploader available in the theme options so I am using the default wordpress media uploader and library

I'm thinking it's an issue with the photo locations maybe?
    I have no problems with this in other themes. Also the logo image is showing normally in the showcase theme. Therefore I don't think this will be the issue.

Are you creating a new folder for images?
    no, I am using the default media uploader and locations that it provides.

Are you referencing the actual url from the media uploader to split the url for the settings?
    yes, the url looks like this on my multisite: http://domain.com/wp-content/files/2011/10/san-diego.jpg and like this on my single install: http://domain.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/san-diego.jpg. This is the reason I did assume at first that you tried this in a single install.

Have you filled in ALL four of the fields?
    No, but this did not seem to be a problem when I tried it on the other install. I filled in all fields to try, but no luck.

There are other issues which I mentioned, but you are not referring to:
    1. The theme has default image settings, these are also not shown.
    2. The theme has a portfolio menu item which is not shown
    2. The theme has a portfolio dashboard menu which is shown, but if I add a portfolio item, it is not found.

Mark.

• MdW

Kimberly,

I don't know what happened, but I went to my example site and suddenly the showcase animated pictures were showing. The only thing I can think of that might be related is the following:

I normally use 755 rights for directories and 644 right for files as a default and use php5.3 handler for php files to make sure I can read/write in these directories. I found out that some of my directories had 777 rights (this worries me, I will have to find out what happened here). This was including the blogs.dir and uploads folder for the showcase site. I changed all folder rights to 755 and all file rights to 644.

Could this have something to do with the showing of the pictures in the showcase theme?

Some of the other issues I mentioned still have to be solved:
    1. This is small issue I can live with because I will not use the defaults anyway. I only mentioned it because it might be related to the image issue.
    2. This problem still persists, I will have to check what is happening here.
    3. Solved, I don't know what happened, but these pages are now found.

Thank you for trying to help me figure out what is going wrong.
    Do you have any ideas how to solve the portfolio item issue that remains?

Mark.

• Kimberly

Mark,

Sorry seems I got caught up in the shuffle of the main showcase :slight_smile:

Glad it's working now, in any case. I could very well be the file permissions, but I'm not sure how the theme pulls the pictures, so if you're comfortable with the fix and it's working then it may very well be the issue.

Lets see if we can get the remainder of your issues tied up :

1. The theme has default image settings, these are also not shown.

Are you referring to those shown in the screenshots? I did not get those when I activated the theme, I'm pretty sure it doesn't ship with default images.

2. The theme has a portfolio menu item which is not shown

You will need to visit Dashboard>Appearance>Menu and add it to your Primary Menu Bar

2. The theme has a portfolio dashboard menu which is shown, but if I add a portfolio item, it is not found.

Are you adding the Portfolio from the Admin bar at the top on the site? I had an issue once where I could not see a Dashboard menu item but had the menu item in the +NEW dropdown on the site admin bar. It was a plugin conflict and solved once I removed/updated the problem plugin. It's a matter of turning them all off to see if it appears, then turning on one by one until it goes away. Then you have your conflict culprit :slight_smile:

Best,

Kimberly

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.