Shows some times and not on all posts... Sporadic functionality

Floating Social is something I definitely want to add to my non-profit organization's website but I'm running into a few issues here:

1. It seems to only appear on certain occassional blog posts

2. Sometimes (like now) it doesn't show at all. When a few refreshes ago it was showing.

This is a sample post it should appear on:
http://www.thewahlsfoundation.com/dr-wahls-gives-tedx-talk-on-overcoming-multiple-sclerosis/

At the time of this writing, it isn't appearing anywhere, although it's activated and was running a few minutes ago - I didn't even change anything and it doesn't run.

Help please. Thanks!

Edit:
It started to work on some pages, and now not on some others.

Here is a classic example, the following page it appeared to work, but then I navigated away and then back and it's gone:

http://www.thewahlsfoundation.com/epigenetics-how-your-environment-affects-your-genes/

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey aClimaxArtist, welcome to the WPMU Dev community! :slight_smile:

I've just tested your site, I can see the Social box. (see screenshot)

But you are not the first user I've seen this week reporting a similar issue.

Which browser are you using?

If in Chrome, when it does this can you just open developer tools. And when you do, does it suddenly pop on the page?

I couldn't recreate this with the other user though......

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/floating-social-works-sometimes-but-not-always

Could you also try disabling all your other plugins and using the default Twenty Eleven theme. If the issue goes away then it could be a conflict somwhere. So then re-activate each one, one at a time until the issue starts to happen again. We will then know the culprit.

Let me know how you get on. :slight_smile:

• aClimaxArtist
    • Flash Drive

"If in Chrome, when it does this can you just open developer tools. And when you do, does it suddenly pop on the page?"

When I open the dev tools in Chrome, it pops onto the page.

It seems to work in the Twenty Eleven theme.

I've tried disabling a lot of the plugins but it seems to be an issue. . .

Any last thoughts on the matter?

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

I've tried disabling a lot of the plugins but it seems to be an issue. . .

What about all of them? Together? As anything could conflict.

It seems to work in the Twenty Eleven theme.

I wonder if it is something to do with the order which jquery is used. I'll ping the plugin developer on this one and see if he has noticed anything.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

It seems to still work sporadically. I think I notice a pattern where if there is a an image or embedded video clip that the Floating Social isn't working as properly.

Is the pattern constant? or sporadic? with an image or embed.

The developer of this plugin was passed feedback but he has been extremely busy recently.

Thanks.

• aClimaxArtist
    • Flash Drive

Until further notice, I have chosen to disable the plugin. Part of the decision is a result of realizing that when the plugin is activated, the overall load-speed of the website declined.

Will keep posted on any updates on this issue. Would love to see a seamless solution that can easily integrate with the website. Being a jack of all trades, I currently don't have the ability, nor time, to debug the plugin, whilst attending to other issues related to the non-profit I'm working with.

Will stay posted and... for the record, I still find this website/plugins/services provided amazing in general.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

Part of the decision is a result of realizing that when the plugin is activated, the overall load-speed of the website declined.

That will always be an issue with using more and more plugin, because your server has more to process over HTTP.

Will stay posted and... for the record, I still find this website/plugins/services provided amazing in general.

Thanks for the kind comments. :slight_smile:

Is anyone seeing this in other browser like Safari, Opera, FireFox, etc?

If it is just chrome, what version are you guys on?

Thanks.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Thank you for reporting this issue. Can you please try the attached update and see if it helps? Also, if it doesn't help on the first go, please clear your cache (on Chrome/Firefox, hitting Ctrl+F5 will do the trick) and try again, to make sure the updated script is loaded.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.