side by side posts and using shortcodes in upfront

How can you place posts side by side instead of stacked on top of each other in a post list?

Are the featured images able to be set to have a uniform size? (cant seem to edit them)

Where can I enter shortcodes? (does not appear to work using code box, alos did not work in content )

How can I display a pages content? Do I set it to a singular post for the page?

Thanks for your help!

• Tyler Postle

Hey there Jmachado,

Glad to see you in the forums

How can you place posts side by side instead of stacked on top of each other in a post list?

You can add some custom CSS to do this. I think one of the coolest features of Upfront is how easily you can create custom CSS styles for any element. I did a screencast for you here to illustrate: http://screencast.com/t/plQgc2kK7au

I'm just editing the blog-archive CSS style there but you will notice the "Add new style" link that allows you to add your own style and then apply it from the dropdown.

PS. Ignore how messy my sandbox site is :p

Are the featured images able to be set to have a uniform size? (cant seem to edit them)

You can do this the same way, I should have done it during the screencast, sorry about that! In the available element selectors, you will see "Thumbnail". That will apply to the featured image in the post listing. Then you can add styling that will look like this:

.uposts-object li .thumbnail {
        height: 100px;
    }

Adjust as needed. You can do the same thing anywhere on the site with CSS.

Where can I enter shortcodes? (does not appear to work using code box, alos did not work in content )

You can use the widget element then select the "text" widget shortcodes won't be processed in the editor though, so you will still see the shrotcode itself until you re-load the live site.

How can I display a pages content? Do I set it to a singular post for the page?

Not sure I follow on this one. Page content should be displayed by default on the page. So if you created a page on the backend for example, you would be able to visit it and it would have all it's content then you could continue editing it on the frontend and vice versa

I usually just create all my posts/pages frontend when using Upfront.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any further questions here.

All the best,
    Tyler

• jmachado

Thank you for the thoughtful and insightful reply.

What I mean by content is from the content area on the page in the backend. But I suppose what you are saying is that the content area in the wordpress backend is no longer necessary.

The issue is I wanted to use a particular plugin called essential grids which is a real time saver. Seems I need to find a workaround if I want to continue with upfront (which I do).

I will try the shortcode in a text widget maybe that will work.

Thank you!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Jmachado,

Thanks for the reply!

What I mean by content is from the content area on the page in the backend. But I suppose what you are saying is that the content area in the wordpress backend is no longer necessary.

This in regards to the shortcodes? You should be able to add shortcodes to the content area in either the back or frontend I just tested this with the WordPress gallery shortcode.

It looks like the Essential Grids plugin is a paid one so I'm unable to test it out, but it could be Upfront conflicts with that plugin.

Look forward to hearing back! More than happy to help further if needed.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Jmachado,

The backend content and title don't have elements, they are built in and already in place for when you create a new page. This is to ensure the backend and frontend content remain the same and so it doesn't get all messy if you were to ever switch a theme.

When you create a new page or edit an existing page, you can just double click on the content area to edit it, same with the title

If you are wanting to pull a posts content and display it somewhere else on your site. For example, you want to place a featured post on your home page, then yes you will want to use the post module and set it to single post.

If you want to display only the content of that single post then you can select only "content" in the "Post Parts" tab. As seen in my screenshot.

If you create a page on the backend then decide to edit it on the frontend, you should be able to just visit that page and open up the Upfront editor on it.

Does this cover the question? I feel like I might still be missing something here. Apologies if that's the case. Just let me know if you need any further info here

Cheers,
    Tyler

• jmachado

So great that draggable area is called "this post"

Now if I go to the already existing homepage and type in the test content the same way: see image.

Then that content is no where to be found. The reason as I can deduce is that the draggable element "this post" does not exist on the page.

OK so no problem, ill just add it right? Well that is where my problem lies, I cant seem to find that draggable element.

Can you help me find it? see last image

• Tyler Postle

Hey jmachado,

Hope you're doing well today!

Very sorry for such a delay here. It looks like you have two different pages there. Once called "Home" and one called "Menu" is that right?

Have you updated to the latest versions. Are you still having this issue? If so, could you grant us support access so we can take a closer look at what is happening

You can grant support access via admin dashboard - WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Jason,

Hope you had a great weekend! Just cleaning up some older posts here.

Thanks for your suggestion. The "Posts" element will allow you to display just the content as well, if you de-select all of the other post parts. Then you are left with just the content. I can see how just a post content block could be convenient though.

If you do have any further questions just let us know!

Cheers,
    Tyler