Sidebar missing when using Wiki

Hello,

When using the WPMU DEV Wiki plugin with Nelo, the sidebar widget for the Wiki pages shows no widgets (see: http://monipag.com/wiki/bienvenue-sur-le-wiki-de-monipag-com/). I hope there would be a special sidebar for the wiki Pages in Appearance > Widgets, but nothing here special for Wiki. Problem due to Nelo or to the plugin itself?

Thank you in advance for your help!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Henri,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

Due to that so many of the themes have gone through updates recently, could you please let me know which version of the Nelo theme you are using?

If you are not running the latest version please update at your earliest convenience and we can go forward from there.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Bossancourt
    • Flash Drive

Hello Joe,

I have tested the 2.2.8. version of Nelo, I was on the 2.2.7.1.

Now it works perfectly for that point, but I have another problem now with 2.2.8.

I’ working with a special customized home page in my child theme, having made some changes in lib/templates/wp-templates/custom-homepage.php.

After putting 2.2.8., everything is ok BUT when the visitor is not logged as a member, he sees the usual custom-homepage.php, not mine with its changes. After he has logged in, then he sees my special custom-homepage.php.

Is there any split of the custom-homepage according you are logged in or not? What to correct?

Thank you in advance for your help.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Henri,

Thank you for the additional input, it is certainly appreciated.

Regarding your question about the home pages switching between logged in and logged out with the newest version of Nelo, I do not have an answer to why this is happening.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer @jeffri in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Bossancourt
    • Flash Drive

Thank you very much, Joe!

Just another element that could be useful to understand and find out the problem: my web site is in French, and the loggin-in Home Page shows French texts (I have of course edited Po/Mo files), whereas the logg-out Home Page is still in English.

By the way, I have put the French .po / .mo files in the languages folder of the theme, as the same files put just in the child theme does not work.

Henri

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Henri,

Thank you for the additional input, it is appreciated and telling.

I looked over Nelo 2.2.8 and one of the issue there is that it is for BuddyPress 1.6.1 and you are indeed running BuddyPress 1.5.7 from what I can tell.

This may indeed be the root of the issues. taken directly from Buddy Presses change log for 1.6:

BuddyPress 1.6 introduces many dozens of new features and enhancements, on top of hundreds of bugfixes.

Reference: http://codex.buddypress.org/releases/version-1-6/

Therefore I would have to concede that it is indeed time to update Buddy Press and see if these issues are indeed affected in a positive way.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Bossancourt
    • Flash Drive

Thank you Timothy, so I’ll reopen the thread: I finally made all updates (WP/BB/Nelo), but the problem is still here: all pages in my site which are not a BuddyPress page – and therefore which have not to show the default BuddyPress Sidebar but the Blog Sidebar Widget instead – show no widget at all in the Blog Sidebar Widget.

See for instance the previous link in my first post or this one: http://monipag.com/blogs-par-categories/

• Jeffri
    • Front End Developer

Hi there Henri,

Sorry for the delay to get back to you.

I’m looking on the issue but couldn’t replicate it in my end. I can see the widgets I added to the blog sidebar in non-BuddyPress page, and BuddyPress sidebar in BuddyPress page. I think it works correctly. Or perhaps I’m getting it wrong, can you explain the issue you are having in more detail?

Thank you.

Jeffri

• Bossancourt
    • Flash Drive

Hello Jeffri,

Thank you for taking care of this issue.

The BuddyPress sidebar is ok on my website. The problem is with non-buddypress pages. The should display the normal blog sidebar. But in fact, instead, I have this message: “All you need to do is to visit your widget tab replace this with your widget”

Of course I have put widgets in the default sidebar in Nelo.

For instance, see: http://monipag.com/wiki/bienvenue-sur-le-wiki-de-monipag-com/

May the problem be linked to a translation issue? In my French Widgets page in WP, the default sidebar is called “Barre latérale”?

• Jeffri
    • Front End Developer

Hi Henri,

Can you try to see if the new 2.2.9 version solved your issue? There’s apparently potential issues with sidebar when using different languages and this release contains the fix. Hopefully that’ll work for you.

Thank you.

Jeffri

• Bossancourt
    • Flash Drive

Hello Jeffri,

I have installed the new 2.2.9 version and unfortunately the issue is still here.

I have also turned the langage of all the site in English and strangely, doing that, I can no more access to wp-admin/widgets.php !!!…

I will work on that next hours, suppressing the different po/mo files to see which one may cause the problem.

• Jeffri
    • Front End Developer

Hi Henri,

Thank you for trying it out. I see that you use child theme, what files did you modify for the child theme? You might want to check the files on your child theme against the recent updated theme, and update any necessary changes.

Thank you.

Jeffri

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Henri,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Bossancourt
    • Flash Drive

Hello Joe,

I have just switched to another theme then came back to my Nelo child theme. And doing this, I was able to put a widget in the default widget sidebar and this time, the widget is displayed :slight_smile:

All would be at least great, but, since doing this, my widget page is getting errors when loading (either the widget page is unable to be displayed, either I can just change one widget – and no personalization is possible in the widget) :slight_frown:

• Bossancourt
    • Flash Drive

Greetings Joe,

I was just talking of Widgets in Appearance in WorldPress Dashboard.

It is impossible for me to load this page now. I have to change my site theme, then put my Nelo theme back, then I have access again to my Widgets. there, I can do just one change, after it, the Widgets are again unavailable. So I have to redo the same process. :slight_frown:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Henri,

Thank you for the additional input and clarification and i have gone ahead with testing on my production server and admit I cannot replicate the widget issue that you have reported having on your WordPress installation: http://aecnuwpmu.us/

Now it is time to go into full blown trouble shooting mode because it appears there may be some conflict here and one way to find out conclusively.

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol – first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem – if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting.

You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Henri,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.