"Sign Up" button not showing for upgrades

This is really two questions.

1. When someone registers a username/password in BuddyPress, I’d like them to be automatically assigned to the indefinite “Basic” (free) subscription, but I think I’m not supposed to set a default user registration level?

2. Regardless — when someone has a subscription, there don’t appear to be any “sign up” buttons on the OTHER subscriptions on the /register page. See screenshot in the next post.

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @jamesdonegan,

1. For this, you’ll actually want to assign a default subscription for free users. You can do this from “Membership -> Options -> General tab -> User registration” Although it sounds like you’ve already done this? If so, this is in fact how you want to set things up if they’re going to start off as free.

2. I just pulled up your site and to start it looks like the CSS from the padder div is causing the part of the page to be hidden. This is why the right borders are missing from your price boxes. I’m not sure why there aren’t any pricing buttons.

Do you have a payment gateway enabled?

• jamesdonegan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thank you for your help.

I have a payment gateway (Authorize.net) enabled and Live.

The /register page looks fine

The /subscriptions page is the one without buttons. I’d appreciate whatever help you can offer as I’m hoping to start offering the site to some beta testers tomorrow evening (US Eastern Time).

It’s very disconcerting.

Here are the two scenarios I’ve been testing this morning:

1. A user is logged in but has only the free subscription. In this case, the register /page and check out process work fine. However, if they go to the /subscriptions page, there are no pay buttons. (I have tried disabling all stylesheets, and it doesn’t make them appear.)

2. A new user is logged in. The register page checkout is clunky. After the pop up asks them to create a username and password, they’re then taken to a second page asking them to do the same thing. However, if they try just logging in with the credentials they’ve just created, it reports errors with the form.

Whatever guidance you can offer is most appreciated!

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hello @jamesdonegan,

I’m sorry you’ve felt as if that was unhelpful. Hopefully we can have this figured out soon, and get you back up and running.

I’ve done some testing and with several different combinations of settings, I wasn’t able to reproduce this issue. Can you try switching to the default theme and seeing if they appear? If so, then we know it’s a theme issue and can start troubleshooting there.

If it’s still not working with the default theme, can you try deactivating your other plugins? If it starts working again, we’ll know if there is a conflicting plugin and which one.

Let me know what you find out here.

Thanks!

Best regards

• jamesdonegan

I really didn’t mean it as a reprimand. Promise I’ll give you a zillion points when we solve this. :slight_smile:

I did try changing the theme (to your Network theme, actually), and it had no effect. I also disabled all except the Membership plugin, and there was no effect.

Thanks for your attention.

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hey @jamesdonegan,

Thanks for giving that a shot. I’m sorry it’s still not working. Would you mind letting me login to take a look? I could try a few things side by side with my test site and see if I can track down the problem quicker.

You can send credentials through here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact

– Choose “I have a different question”

– Include my name in the subject “Alexander Rohmann”

– Include any relevant login information, and a link back to this thread.

Thanks for being a WPMU DEV member. Let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Best regards,

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@jamesdonegan,

I’m sorry for the delay here. I’ve spent some time trying to figure this out this weekend, and can conclude that I believe this is a bug with the plugin.

I’ve done some testing on my own site and was able to reproduce this. It actually only happens if you’re trying to upgrade at a later time from a page with the subscriptions shortcode. Upgrading from the page after registering as free works fine. I missed this the first time I tested it, and that’s probably what took me so long. Again, I’m sorry this took so long.

I’ve notified the plugin developer so he can take a look.

@Barry, just a quick summary of what I’m seeing here so you don’t have to retrace the conversation.

1. User registers with a free subscription level.

2. They immediately have the option to upgrade

3. When visiting the /subscriptions page later, the upgrade options are there, but aren’t showing the payment gateway buttons

• Tobbe
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I’ve got the exact same problem!

I would also like to change the page that free users gets redirected to after registration.

Now they come to a subscription page where they can choose to upgrade to the paid one. But nowhere does it say that they’re now in fact members. Ultimately I’d like them to see the same welcome-page as paid users.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Now they come to a subscription page where they can choose to upgrade to the paid one. But nowhere does it say that they’re now in fact members. Ultimately I’d like them to see the same welcome-page as paid users.

What page have you got set for your registration competed page? Can you pop up a screenshot of that page on your options?

• Tobbe

I think Alex is trying to describe this:

You have to subscriptions that new users can choose from on registration: free and paid.

If you pick the free subscription, your account gets created succesfully and you immediately get to a page where you can choose to upgrade to the paid instead (using Paypal). This is all good…

The problem though, is when this user, on free subscription, wants to upgrade later on (from the [renewform]-page). Since their is no upgrade/subscribe button on the paid subscription – probably because this user account isn’t “connected” to paypal.

So, the problem boils down to free users getting assigned to admin gateway instead of Paypal.

Hope that helps.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

If you pick the free subscription, your account gets created succesfully and you immediately get to a page where you can choose to upgrade to the paid instead (using Paypal).

You should be taken to the Registration completed page you set up in the membership options – Mine says “Welcome to xyz” and then has information for the new member. If you don’t have a registration completed page set then it will try to send you to the subscriptions page.

The problem though, is when this user, on free subscription, wants to upgrade later on (from the [renewform]-page). Since their is no upgrade/subscribe button on the paid subscription – probably because this user account isn’t “connected” to paypal.

What gateway is next to your user in the members list? It should be paypal + the gateway you used, eg. paypalexpress or paypalsolo. If it is admin the user is being added via the Use Registration method and thus isn’t associated with a gateway.

• Tobbe

You should be taken to the Registration completed page you set up in the membership options – Mine says “Welcome to xyz” and then has information for the new member. If you don’t have a registration completed page set then it will try to send you to the subscriptions page.

This only happens for my paid users.

What gateway is next to your user in the members list? It should be paypal + the gateway you used, eg. paypalexpress or paypalsolo. If it is admin the user is being added via the Use Registration method and thus isn’t associated with a gateway.

That’s the problem, they don’t get associated with a gateway (just admin).

Maybe Alex reply above is a bit misleading (sorry, not meaning to be bumptious)?

For this, you’ll actually want to assign a default subscription for free users. You can do this from “Membership -> Options -> General tab -> User registration”

But on the other hand, if I leave this option to empty, my users don’t get assigned to the free subscription at all – and thus, it still don’t work properly. But you do get to the welcome page.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

This only happens for my paid users.

Hmm, happens to all my sign ups

But on the other hand, if I leave this option to empty, my users don’t get assigned to the free subscription at all

You’ve lost me here – do you have this set to a subscription, that you also have available for a user to select on the registration form?

This option is really only designed for use if you have a single subscription, which is free and that you want all registered users to be assigned to – if you have more than one subscription and they are selectable, you should have this set to None.

• Tobbe

You’ve lost me here – do you have this set to a subscription, that you also have available for a user to select on the registration form?

Yes, I can understand why that’s a problem…I had it set to none before – but maybe I misunderstood Alex’s reply above and changed it.

Anyway, now when I’ve reverted back to the “none-option” this happens:

1. A user picks the free subscription

2. Gets to the [subscriptionform]-page and fills in information.

3. Gets to the “Sign up for subscription”-page and clicks the “Sign up”-button.

4. Gets to the welcome page and can login.

These steps are the same for both paid and free subscriptions and works great. The problem now is that this user who just chose the free subscription and created his account, actually don’t get assigned to that subscription – he is now a member without any subscription.

I’ve tried this with Paypal (both the express and single at seperate times) as my only activated gateway.

If you’d like, I’d be happy to send you screenshots/login details.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

These steps are the same for both paid and free subscriptions and works great. The problem now is that this user who just chose the free subscription and created his account, actually don’t get assigned to that subscription – he is now a member without any subscription.

Can you run the verify database (Membership -> Options -> Advanced tab) and see if it reports any errors in the tables?

If possible, can you try the 3.4.5 beta we are running and see if that improves things? https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/all-attached-below-is-the-beta-of-version-345

You can revert back to the old version at any time as none of the settings are changed in the database.

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hey there,

Looks like this has been fixed in the beta, but just to confirm what I was seeing earlier.

A user can register with a free subscription, and immediately after registering they have the option to upgrade to a paid subscription. All the payment buttons are showing.

But if they leave that page, and later return to the subscriptions page, the payment buttons are missing, and they can’t upgrade.

Best regards

• Tobbe

@alexander Rohmann

I only think this happens when you have a defualt subscription for new members. Because then they get assigned to the admin-gateway instead of PayPal…

The problem I’m facing now (with that option set to “none”:wink:, is that members who pick the free subscription just don’t get there. No idea why…

I’ve tried this on my sandbox site, with BP and Membership as my only activated plugins, using Twenty Twelve. If you want I’d be happy to send you screenshots/login details…

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi guys,

I’m so sorry for the delay here. I’ve tried out the beta myself, and these issues have been resolved, as well as some more improvements. When the final release comes out, this should all be taken care of. Take a look at some of the changes, and feel free to download here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/all-attached-below-is-the-beta-of-version-345

@matt, you’ll want to go to Membership -> Options, and ensure “use subscription” is set to “none” As Barry pointed out before:

This option is really only designed for use if you have a single subscription, which is free and that you want all registered users to be assigned to – if you have more than one subscription and they are selectable, you should have this set to None.

Best regards

• jamesdonegan

Thanks @alexander Rohmann I’ve actually entirely stopped using the subscription pages and have manually linked to the purchase forms from the pages where they’re relevant (e.g. if someone wants to access protected content on a page, they’re provided with a link directly to the “shopping cart” for that content.

I will hold off until this is out of beta to run the upgrade and see where we are then.

Thanks for your help!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.