Significant Re-working of Directory Plugin

Hiya folks,

We’re pleased to announce a new release of Directory:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-directory

With version 2.1 we’ve done a substantial amount of work under the hood to get this plugin going!

Here’s what’s happened:

Directory now runs on a full copy of CustomPress. In fact, you could think of it as the Directory Edition of CustomPress. This means it’s got a heap of power backing it. You can add custom taxonomies and fields anyway ya like! CustomPress creates the fields, assigns them to the directory listing post type and provides the embed code for you to implement it into your theme.

We’ve done a complete code cleanup from start to finish. Now, you can quickly get started with our default directory theme (included) and various styles. This is the perfect solution if you have a directory-focused site that you’re wanting to get up and running quickly.

If you already have a site and are looking to implement a directory component, we have you covered here as well. New shortcodes allow you to implement directory listings and ready-made grid layouts.

We’re also providing shortcodes for the other directory elements such as signup, purchase, and view listing buttons (to name a few) so that these elements can also be inserted into any theme.

Currently Directory supports the PayPal Express gateway or Free listing options. Very soon you’ll see heaps of new gateways as we migrate the most popular ones from the awesome MarketPress plugin. Additionally, we’ve got more in the works for specific BuddyPress support, front-end listing creation (already present, but more on the way here) and various types of multisite integration.

Again, the main idea behind the latest release is to sure-up the code base and bring a quality product to the lineup as a basis for more feature development and improvements from here on out.

If you’ve used Directory previously or are looking to get started on a new project this is the version to get started with. We welcome your feedback and you can expect quite a bit more over the next little bit in terms of additional features.

To that end, if you give it a try, let us know what you think below and what items you’d like to see added. Arnold’s the mastermind behind this product and he’ll be following along here and on future threads.

Thanks everyone!

• ozbod
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Mason,

I have been trying out the recent beta’s and have now installed 2.1 and have got it running and have had a test user pay for a listing – so far so good.

Can you confirm that currently there is no way to make a paid up member pay for a second listing on his account, for example Mr A has paid for his first listing, cafe in city A, at the moment it appears he can go and add another listing under his paid account for another cafe he owns in City B for free, is there a way to prevent this and force him to pay for his second listing or not.

I am just thinking that this may be a bit unfair and one all members pay the same fee and can create as many listings as they like, some may have many listings to create, others my only have one or two – just a thought.

Oh, and thanks to Arnold for his work here

Cheers

Dave

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Currently the two payment methods are a recurring subscription. X dollars for x amount of time. Or a one time membership, Y dollars forever.

We also have plans for a Credit system. Buy credits and then use so many credits per listing which is more what you’re looking for. Credits work better than a per listing scheme because there are fewer transactions and you don’t pay as much in transaction fees.

• ozbod

Hi Arnold,

now this sounds like a good plan, following on on what you have said, will we be able to say first listing will cost you X many credits per year and subsequent listing will cost you Y per listing per year, that way the first listing would be full price and the following listings could be discounted.

Food for thought maybe

Cheers

Dave

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

The way it was handled in Classifieds was to give X number of free credits for signing up and after that regular price. An incentive to signup. However you run the risk of people churning multiple accounts for the free ones.

I think what I would like is a discount for buying larger blocks of credits. Something like 10 for $10, 20 for $18, 50 for $40 etc. Gives you the money early and larger transactions again saving on transaction fees.

• uc

Hi Arnold,

I want to thank you and the for working tirelessly to revamp the plugin. I am excited about the improvement and new features. You have been of tremendous help.

masonjames mentioned that: Directory now runs on a full copy of CustomPress. In fact, you could think of it as the Directory Edition of CustomPress

that means we have to uninstall the standalone we have already installed.

Secondly I am this error when I try to use the front-end edit listing

“Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/_1/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-seo/wds-files/wds-onpage/wds-onpage.php:64) in /home/_1/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 866”

Also when I tried to create a category through Getting Started I will get “inavlid taxonomy” It is picking up the categories I created using Events plus plugin instead. How can prevent that

Thanks

UC

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Yes uninstall CustomPress. Let it use the built in copy in Directory.

On the header error from wpmu-dev-seo, I’m not getting an error there. Can you give me the sequence that triggers it?

On categories. If you had an earlier version in you may need to delete the directory-listing post_type in CustomPress and the listing_category and listing_tag in Taxonomy. It will automatically recreate them with the current defaults.

Another thing that might help is going into permalinks and resaving the setup so it rewrites the permalink rules.

• uc

Hi Arnold,

There is no directory-listing post_type in CustomPress and the listing_category and listing_tag in Taxonomy. I have attached the add Listing page. As you can see it is picking the categories I set up for Events + and Group Documents .

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the plugins and re-saved the permalink still same.

For the header error it happens when open the Edit Listing page.

UC

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Then I would suggest deactivating all other plugins except Directory. This should give it a chance to make those post_types etc. It’s not going to work right without them. The plugin should create them if they don’t exist.

Also are you runnig on Multisite?

• uc

Hi Arnold,

I have analyzed the issue further. I did a fresh install, activated directory and events 1.3 plugins. It still picked up the Event categories. I used the old version of Event +(ver 1.2), It showed up normally.

One of the differences between events plugin ver. 1.2 and 1.3 is that the latest vers 1.3 has Event categories. The same with Group Document, it has categories.

It appears that it is displaying categories from any plugin that has it’s own category

One other thing If you add a custom field its will displayed below the Status.

UC

• Clifford P
    • The Bug Hunter

Is there a setting to allow people to post their listing and pay for it but then it goes to a queue for approval?

Also, on the Add Listing front end page, I noticed that it asks which Question category it belongs to – apparently the Q&A plugin is confusing it…

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

I’ve just uploaded some changes which should fix the category problem.

@clifford

Edit the page-update-listing.php. At the <select> that displays Status which is currently Publish or Draft replace it with a hidden input

<input type="hidden" name="listing_data[post_status]" id="listing_data[post_status]"  value="pending" />

That will always save a post with status “Pending Review and you can review them as you need.

• Clifford P
    • The Bug Hunter

1) Should I uninstall CustomPress if I am using Classifieds?

2) Are you saying there is already an option between Publish or Draft? You provided code for a 3rd option, Pending? How would that be different than just picking Draft, if that’s already a built-in option?

3) I updated my categories not listing error here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/new-version-of-directory-doesnt-seem-to-list-categories

Thanks.

• Poyel
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I am following the development with excitement here, Thanks!

I am new to WPMUDEV and playing with both Classifieds and Directory in the moment to figure out which one might be better (been using other WP based plugins before as well a a completely different directory solution) suited for my online listings business.

I might be missing something here, but, with the current development of directory, what would be advantages of using Classifieds in the future? (Apart from the internal emails?)

Cheers!

Poyel

• Poyel
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

@alan – cool

There is plenty of more functionality I’d be interested in (creation of various listing packages, reciprocal link checker, a more elaborate email system) – but I’ll need to get my head more around what is already there and what can be done with other wpmudev plugins…

Enjoy,

Poyel

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

hi all,

am i just missing something.. or where is it that you go to select color themes with the theme it ships with? i just installed on a fresh wordpress install and it is using the default twenty one theme.. i don’t see options for the them in the plugin screen shots.. :disappointed:

thanks,

g

• Patricia BT
    • Connector

Hi

is it ok to post our own issue on the same topic?

I see the categories issue has been mentioned a few times above, but nothing help me

i have a test install and I have put a total backup from before custom press and (previous) directory, so my site was clean from custom press

but when I re-add (new) directory, i have no categories, I mean it’s not listed on the left menu in the dashbord, and if I go manually (or from “getting started”:wink: to sitename.com/wp-admin/edit-tags.php?taxonomy=listing_category&post_type=directory_listing I get “Invalid taxonomy” message, and if I go to the “add new” I get “You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.” (I’m testing with the super admin account), and yes, I’ve been through the 1st step of getting started

if that is important, I’m on multisite, with Pro Sites and I want to have directory only in the main site (not allow other users to use on their sites, but allow them to post to the main site), I have checked on my main site settings, (network admin -> sites -> my main site name -> settings’ tab, down the page, then activated from main site dashboard extension

I’m not sure if this is something I set up wrong? or an issue other people face to?

thank you in advance for your help

Cheers

Patricia

• uc

Hi Patricia,

Try this

Activate Directory only on the main-site

Go to Network Admin dashboard ->Custom Press->Settings- put a check mark on

Enable sub-site content types.

Since you want to restrict the categories to the main site,

Enable Remove the network-wide content types from sub-sites. as well the go back to getting started

UC

• Patricia BT
    • Connector

ok UC thanks a lot, this solved my issue, so in fact it was very good that I posted here, as it may help others.

I know my english is not perfect, and I misunderstood that sentence

“If you enable this option, sub-sites on your network will be able to define their own content types. “

I thought if I check it, the normal user subsite will have his own custom press possibility to add content type (which I do not want), but well I went to my test user account and yep, no custom press there

not sure if this is also confusing to english speakers :wink:

thank you again UC, this was really helpful!

And thank you Joe, I’ll be careful next time to start a new topic :slight_smile:

• Patricia BT
    • Connector

the very latest Directory release 2.1.1.2 just solved the issue I had yesterday : the frontend editor was not saving my changes

yesterday, I talked live with @arnold on the chat, and this morning I find out a new release, and all works well

I’m very pleased :slight_smile: thanks to Arnold

(and for the issues I have on Multi-domain plugin, mentioned in another topic, I think Arnold forwarded…:wink: thx :wink:

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya folks,

At this point I think we have a really solid foundation. New features are coming, but the hard work as been done :slight_smile:

I’m gonna unsticky this thread and close it up as it’s rather lengthy. If you’re having any issues or have questions, feel free to ask a new topic and we’ll discuss them individually.

Thanks everyone for your feedback as always!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.