Signup Code for Blogs but not user registration

I need a way to restrict access to registration of new blogs (they would need a signup code or something like that), while allowing anyone to freely sign up to be a user of a site in the network.

Sign up Code almost works, but I need it to only be used for creating new blogs. Is there a way to do this.

If not, I had the thought to use Pro Sites but a) that seems like overkill and b) I don't want to charge for the creation of a blog, just restrict who can create one. I guess with Pro Sites I could give people that I wanted to create sites a coupon code, making it free, and then charge a ridiculously high fee for anyone else.

Any suggestion.

Thanks,

Steve

• Michelle Shull

Hi Steve!

First off, go to Network Settings and make sure you're only allowing registered users to create blogs. This will prevent users from signing up for an account and a site at the same time. (And, I've found, this reeeeeally slows down attempts to create spam blogs.)

Next, this is a bit outside of the box, but I think it might work for you here. You can use a points system (the best one I know is called MyCred, and it's totally free.), and set a minimum number of points a user needs before they can create a new site. MyCred allows you to be very flexible in how you distribute points, so you can really fine tune how this works. Plus, it can really increase member engagement, as well. (People love points.) https://wordpress.org/plugins/mycred/

Pro Sites would also work here, but I think you might be right, it's a lot of car for what you need. You can set up free levels, or use coupon codes like you describe here, but I think that sounds like a lot of work on your end, when you could automate the process a bit without opening yourself up to an influx of spam.

Would this help, Steve?

Thanks for your question!

• stevew1000

Michelle,

Thanks for your answer. The MyCred is interesting but it doesn't really apply in this situation. We're not looking to turn it into a game - we have specific people that we'd like to allow to make sites. Rather than doing it for them or approving them one by one, we'd like to simply give out a sign up code to people that we'd like to be able to create sites..

If you have any other ideas of what might work, I would be appreciate any suggestions.

• Tyler Postle

Hey there Stevew1000,

Hope you're doing well today!

I think this is a good idea, I'll mark it as a feature request for Signup Code :slight_smile:

In the meantime, I think a good alternative would be Gravity Forms if you have it. You will need the developer license for it as this solution requires the User Registration add-on; however, basically we would just use the built conditional logic.

So, you would hide the site signup unless the "sign up code" field you create is populated correctly. I've attached a screenshot to show the option.

if it's not populated correctly then you can tell it to show a message that says "Incorrect code" or something like that :slight_smile:

We actually have a post on our blog about Gravity Forms conditional logic too if you were wanting more info on it: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/rock-your-wordpress-forms-with-gravity-forms-conditional-logic/

Hope this helps Steve!

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.