Signup Problems

I decided to try another plugin while waiting for responses to the bugs found in all the other plugins that I have tried so far.

Here I activated the directory plugin. I have not added listing yet, but that should not matter I do not think... the bug is when visiting the sign up page, this error is displayed.

Fatal error: ob_start() [ref.outcontrol]: Cannot use output buffering in output buffering display handlers in /home/qkrme/public_html/wp-content/plugins/directory/core/core.php on line 851

http://testdirectory.qkr.me/signup/

I have not been able to use a single plugin here yet without spending time submitting support tickets.

• ArticleCK

I thought I was paying for compatible plugins here?

Are you saying now that you plugins are not compatible with each other now?

Why is it that every plugin that I try to use has bugs?

I'll just write this one off for now, there are more pressing problems. I only started testing
    this plugin because things are stalled while I wait for support

More pressing problems like ultimate facebook

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/cannot-grant-extended-permissions

and in post ads

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/ads-only-show-on-first-visit

Please address these tickets

• aecnu

Greetings ArticleCK,

I thought I was paying for compatible plugins here?

This latest version of Directory plugin was just released recently and has not been thoroughly tested against every possible combination of our approximately three hundred products here on WPMU Dev.

Are you saying now that you plugins are not compatible with each other now?

I am saying that when there is a new release - that until they are tried in the real world against every possible combination of the approximately three hundred products found here on WPMU Dev to include on the many possible server configurations, there can be a bug which has yet to be discovered.

Why is it that every plugin that I try to use has bugs?

This may be in part that after careful observance of your tickets and installs you have no plan - running willy nilly installing every plugin and theme that you can without regards to any kind of path or goal.
    Creating tickets one after the other before resolution of prior tickets.

A good example of this is after trying to test your directory site and other ticket resolutions you have already entered more tickets and changed the destination site contents, plugins, and theme compositions making it almost impossible to nail down what is going on.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• ArticleCK

You said...

This may be in part that after careful observance of your tickets and installs you have no plan - running willy nilly installing every plugin and theme that you can without regards to any kind of path or goal.
    Creating tickets one after the other before resolution of prior tickets.
    A good example of this is after trying to test your directory site and other ticket resolutions you have already entered more tickets and changed the destination site contents, plugins, and theme compositions making it almost impossible to nail down what is going on.

This is not true at all...

I do have a plan and when testing other plugins I have set up separate test sites. How does this change destination site contents, plugins, and theme compositions?

I am pressed for time if I find a bug that I cannot resolve, I submit a ticket (and usually get a reply back hours later asking me for something that I have already given)

If I waited for a reply every time, I would be nowhere!

Right now I actually have 2 plans. One is to test and set up every plugin for myself before asking people to pay me for a blog. I am doing this so that I can provide support to my members. I can understand how you think that I am running willy nilly installing every plugin and theme that you can without regards to any kind of path or goal but actually I am just trying to make sure that what I WANT to offer to my members actually works!

In anycase if changing themes and plugins on a site can make issues with your plugins and themes worse, then maybe you should not brag so much in the sales copy about 100% compatibily?

• ArticleCK

My other plan (if you are interested) is to convert my general article directory into a series of niche blogs and allow members to submit articles (from the directory) directly to one of the niche blogs.

Business Articles businessarticleshome.com (for example) with the articles on the blog linking back to the publisher page on the directory.

This will be a "premium service" those that do not want to pay be be offered a small, free, ad laden blog. (with incentives to upgrade).

So I have core plugins that I want to use for the directory blogs (like ultimate facebook and ultimate seo etc) and other plugins that I am not really interested in using myself, but want to check out as I am sure that there are members who would be.

So while waiting for support for a core plugin that I want to use, I started testing some of the other plugins that I may want to offer.

I really do not think that your tirade was justified.

You frustrate me, here's another example of why.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/ads-only-show-on-first-visit

It's true that I need to calm down and be less hot headed, I will try to do that, but the stress is getting to me, I can't get no satisfaction!

• camparoo

Sorry you're having such a hard time with this! When I have a client with major issues across multiple plug-ins, there are a few things I check before I actually get into the themes or plug-ins themselves. There are a few basic problems that can cause across-the-board problems, and this is where I start troubleshooting.

First off, did you set up WordPress yourself? You know, upload the files, set up the database manually, set up the config file and install – or did you click on your hosts' "Create a WordPress site" button and have one done for you? I am kind of the "I set my WP up and now it won't work right" fix-it person for many of my clients, and I cannot tell you how many 'buggy' sites installed by hosts I have run into (but I can guess, around 35). These sites are the worst, because they look like WP sites and work like 'em too, until you actually try to <u>use</u> them. Then, you get all kinds of weird glitches and issues that make you want to tear your hair out. After much time fooling around with stuff like this, I can say with some experience that if your host sets up your site for you – this is way too often the root of the problem. I set up every site myself, every single time.

Second issue I have run across that affects how WP works across multiple plug-ins that are supposed to work great - and do for everyone but you – who are you hosting with? Just as an example, Yahoo Business claims to be able to host WP sites. This is a blatant lie (sorry, Yahoo - but you know it's true). Yes, you can install WP in Yahoo Business, and it will actually work perfectly if you, um, want a really basic blog on your cat or something. If you need a store, or email configuration, or want to add flash, or a plethora of other possible situations, then everything just goes wrong. You add a plug-in and it doesn't work right. Then another, and then another. Just as in host created sites, everything just kind of fails across the boards.

Last issue. I don't know how handy you are with uploads and FTP, but do you know about CHMOD settings? All WordPress folders should have a setting of 644, and all files should be 755. I have had several instances where sites failed entirely due to the wrong folder and file settings in the FTP. Same results, you understand. Nothing worked right, It made me really testy - as it wasn't just one plug-in, but was across the board errors.

Anyway, in my experience, when nothing works right for me - and when it works right for everyone else, it has always (thus far) been one of the issues mentioned above.

Oh, and PS, frustration is totally understandable!

• ArticleCK

Hello Camparoo

Thanks for getting back to me with some real advice.

I have manually installed wordpress hundreds of time, but this is the first time that I have used multi-site. The actual installation looks fine. The only error messages that I see are related to the ultimate facebook plugin. I posted these in the ticket that I have open for that plugin almost 4 days ago and am still waiting for a response.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/cannot-grant-extended-permissions

[03-Mar-2012 06:12:55] PHP Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp/sess_ec4983e185094e2a046239d465d4ea94, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in [path]/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/external/facebook.php on line 37
    [03-Mar-2012 06:12:55] PHP Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at [path]wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/external/facebook.php:37) in [path]wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/external/facebook.php on line 37
    [03-Mar-2012 06:12:56] PHP Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp/sess_ec4983e185094e2a046239d465d4ea94, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0
    [03-Mar-2012 06:12:56] PHP Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

The server company say that there is nothing wrong with the temp dir, it is building fine. That I should ask you guys about the problem. (which I have)

Do you think these errors are causing all the probems?

• aecnu

Greetings ArticleCK,

Yes those errors would be a symptom of the issues you would be having with the Ultimate Facebook plugin.

As you mentioned that there was a delay in your receiving a reply from your earlier ticket relative to Ultimate Facebook and I know Tim had been working on totally redoing the documents thereof - so now I have just checked the other ticket and find that Tim has responded.

Please advise where we are now with the signup problems? i.e. errors etc.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.