Signup problems with membership 2

When someone signs up to a free membership they are not automatically added to that membership? I have enabled account verification, but it just doesn't work. I have enabled access.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Neil Foley

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I've run some tests on your site and my test setup (where only Membership 2 Pro, Signup ToS and WPMU DEV Dashboard plugins were enabled) and what's happening on your site is:

- user goes through the registration process
    - user receives an activation e-mail and click on a link
    - this returns a message that account is verified and gives a login form
    - after logging in user is automatically taken to the "Account" page (with no membership assigned).

However, on a default setup (with the account verification option enabled, of course) the last step is a bit different and instead of being taken from a login from straight to "Account" page, user is directed to a "Thank you" page (the one set in "Membership 2 -> Settings -> General" settings).

If that page is skipped, the membership is not assigned. Even on your setup, if you manually visit that page right after logging in, the membership is assigned (if you look at users and members list you should see one of my "adamwpmu..." accounts having a membership assigned - that is how it got assigned).

The bottom line is that "something" is causing the "Thank you" page to be skipped on your setup and it seems to be breaking the process. Furthermore, if the account verification is disabled, the "thank you" page is not skipped and the membership is assigned.

The difference, however, is: with account verification disabled there's no additional step of user login after clicking confirmation link - the user is already automatically logged in to the site.

This leads me to the point that the "login/login redirect" process is affected by some setting of the site or some custom code or some other plugin. Unfortunately, I wasn't yet able to find out what it is. Do you, by any chance, know if there are some redirects set that could be causing it and if so, where they can be set?

If not, would you be able to run a full conflict test: disable all plugins on site (except for Membership 2 Pro), switch it to Twenty Seventeen theme and then check if the membership is still not applied?

If it is, then start enabling all plugins and the theme back one by one each time testing that and the last enabled one would be our culprit here. Knowing about it we could then find some solution for the issue.

Looking forward to your response,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Neil Foley

Thank you for your reply!

otherwise it goes to this page: https://firstaidvideos.com/register/?action=check_email

With this on it:

Registration
    Please check your email for further instructions to verify your email.

But I have never setup a redirect to that? and what is that page?

This is a proper behavior actually. Here's what should be happening if it was all working preperly:

With account verification disabled in M2P

- user selects members and click on sign up
    - user fills in a signup form and submits it
    - user is registered and automatically logged in
    - user is redirected to Thank You page and a membership is applied

With account verification enabled in M2P

- user selects membership and clicks on sign up button
    - user fills in a signup form and submits it
    - user is registered but not activated and not logged in automatically
    - instead user gets a message to check inbox: "Please check your email for further instructions to verify your email."
    - user gets an e-mail with a link to folow
    - user clicks on that link and gets a message that account has been verified, along with a login form
    - user logs in
    - user is redirected to a thank you page and a membership is applied.

Now, the problem seems to be that on your setup, for some reason, that last step seems to be skipped/missing. Instead, user is automatically redirected to an account page which should not be happening. By design, the first time new member logs in - so after sign up - it should be Thank You page.

We can't fix that by adding anything to .htaccess 'cause there's no way to make the "one time redirect" via it. But more importantly, I think it would be better to find the cause and cure it rather than "cover the problem" :slight_smile:

That being said, I think I'll need to dig a bit deeper but unfortunately the support access to the site is no longer active (it might have expired as it's time valid). Could you please enable it again for me so I could check the site again?

It would also be great if you could provide me, just in case, FTP - or better yet CPanel - access. This would let me check .htaccess (not to add something to fix but rather check if there's nothing ineterfering) and other WP files and via cPanel I could also check database. You can put those credentials in a text box right below "Access open for X days" button on "WPMU DEV -> Support" page in your site's dashboard, after granting support access. This way the information won't be posted anywhere publicly and will just safely stay within your site (I"ll only be able to see it after I access the site).

Just let me know here once the support access is open again and I'll continue investigation.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.