Signup results in 404 page

hi there,

I am trying to create an account on the front end, via one of the buttons (all redirecting to the signin page). So I enter a username and email, press the Sign up! button and end up on a 404! page.

it doesn't seem to be able to find the /wp-login.php?action=register page.

I have my admin open in IE
tested in FF and Google Chrome.

when I set WP_DEBUG it generated the following message:
'Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in ../../../post-template.php on line 1275'

I am very much new to WP so I am still getting my head around the structure of things.

Another question I have (probably typical newby question):
how can I create / alter a form, e.g. I want to add extra fields for subscribers when adding listings?

Have been trying to find answers here, the WP docs, etc. for hours, but didn't find a clue. Please advise.

thanks in advance
Paul

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @Pod691, I hope you're well today!

Could you please post a link to your page?

I know the following method might seem long, but it's the best way to debug these kinds of issue:

- switch your theme to twentytwelve and try again. If the issue still exists, move on to the next step (using twentytwelve as your theme from now on). If it doesn't then it's a theming issue.
    - Deactivate ALL your plugins except the Directory plugin. Test if the error still occurs. If it doesn't then it's a plugin conflict. Start re-activating your plugins one-by-one untill this error occurs again and tell us which plugin it is that causes this conflict. If the error still occurs after deactivating all other plugins, then try re-uploading the plugin files to your server using FTP and overwriting the existing files.
    If the error persists, then try re-uploading all WordPress core files using FTP and try again.

Please test the above and tell me what you find...

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Pod691
    • New Recruit

Thank you Ari for your swift response. I will do what you suggested of course. However, I forgt to mention an important detail in my story:

We installed Directory plugin for the second time as I wanted WP in a different folder. The first time we installed the plugin, all seemed ok, the second time the plugin didn't generate the standard pages as mentioned on the usage (instruction) page. So we know the plugin should work with the other theme and plugins. thought you should know this as well.

link to the project: http://www.boafood.co.uk/boa-food-listings/

so before I start the debug process you still recommend that after this info or should I skip certain steps from debug routine?

• Pod691
    • New Recruit

ok Ari,

did the your tests and more, results are:
    - switched to twentytwelve theme: OK -> error persists
    - deactivating all plugins (except Directory): OK -> error persists
    - deactivated, then reactivated Directory plugin: OK -> error persists
    - reuploaded Directory plugin: OK -> error persists

Finally I decided to delete everything from my server and reinstalled everything from scratch: better result, all seems to work, except I still cannot signup, still get a 'cannot find page' ( here: http://www.boafood.co.uk/wp-login.php?action=register ) after clicking the signup button

I left the WP_DEBUG on - please have a look.or any ideas?

cheers
    Paul

• Pod691
    • New Recruit

ok more info, I read somewhere to set the permalinks to Post name. So I did and the listings page changed from showing the categories+subvategories to my one test listing showing there?

Still the signing up is not working, also I found that (when logged in as admin) I could not write a review?

just fyi

cheers

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.