Silly questions about ultimate facebook plugin

I am new, and trying hard. Sorry that I most likely missed the basics. Please be gentle :slight_smile:

About:
I am running a Multisite install. I will have a main site, then sub sites (domains). I would like to provide access to all sites on my network to allow users to login via facebook. However, I would like to give individual sites the ability to list facebook pages, facepiles, etc.

1) Can this plugin do this? Or should I have two different plugins?
2) Shall I network Activate this, or just activate on my main site, and let individual sites add theirs?
3) Should I combine this plugin to use login, but a seperate plugin for facepiles, etc?
4) Can someone send me a link to documentation for dummies? :slight_smile:

Give example.

Dungeons and Dragons Nerds
-Local Club1
-Local Club2

I want people to use my API to login with facebook, which creates WP accounts on the network. However, I would like to retain the ability for local club1 and local club 2 to have thier own facebook pages, events, photo albums, etc.

• Philip John

Hiya!

Sure, Ultimate Facebook can do this.

You'll simply need to network activate the plugin. If your sub-sites are using domain mapping they will need to create their own Facebook application as per the in-plugin instructions, otherwise you can specify the app settings from the network level.

You will be able to select which widgets are available in the settings and the widgets will then be viewable to sub-sites in Appearance > Widgets and configure them to use their own Facebook profiles or pages

Cheers,
    Phil

• in-mn

Few more silly questions, please bear with me.

So if I use domain mapping (meaning i assume mapping a DNDClubName.cc to my DNDClubName.MYSITE.com as a CNAME variable, I would need to have them do their own Facebook (FB) App?

I have played with this some what. I have to try some more..

But So far. If I want to simplify, and hide settings per blog/subsite; I Allow users to use my settings. Dont allow individual settings (which would render the login parts useless if anyone using domain mapping)

If I use my settings for the main Domain.com; people could still use a custom Facepile link and link to page. However, it seems that the ALBUMS and EVENTS are linked to my userid of the account used to create the Application.

I am going to make a new admin, a new FB account, Login Through that Account, link to a FB account, and see then if it would give me the option to browse that new FB accounts albums.

Secondary stupid question, should I user your other WP/FB/Twitter/Google Comments option and disable the Ultimate FB comments (or what would you recommend)?

• in-mn

Ok - I feel like I am rambling here. but just in case my stupidity sparks a search.

1) I can use main Application settings. If i log in through Facebook connect, or register, I can then use that new FB / WP account to post pictures / events from.

2) Events seems a little wonky if you use multiple isntances. I will play with more. However, it does appear to be working, and non admins can even post events of Pages they do not admin in Wp-admin.

So I guess resolved. However, could you recommend if i should keep the Easy Comments plugin?

• Philip John

So if I use domain mapping (meaning i assume mapping a DNDClubName.cc to my DNDClubName.MYSITE.com as a CNAME variable, I would need to have them do their own Facebook (FB) App?

Yep, that's correct.

Secondary stupid question, should I user your other WP/FB/Twitter/Google Comments option and disable the Ultimate FB comments (or what would you recommend)?

Entirely up to you - if you want all those services available for commenting then you can use that, but you can still use Ultimate Facebook for Autoposting and widgets etc...

Cheers,
    Phil

• Christopher Price

If your sub-sites are using domain mapping they will need to create their own Facebook application as per the in-plugin instructions...

This is the killer for me. It is beyond the abilities of most of my site admins, and I don't want to have the temptation to just create the FB app for them.

Don't worry, in-mn. It seems to me that you have a pretty clear understanding of the trade-offs. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.