Simple Custom CSS Change isn't Working

Hi,
A few months back, you helped me when my theme, Minimaze, was making all the text in all the pages, both regular pages and wiki pages, grey instead of black. The following was added to Simple Custom CSS:

/* change all the site text to black - was grey from Minimaze */
body, textarea {
color: #000;
}

This worked!

However, since the new WP release, which happens to coincide with migrating my old site to my new site, it isn't working any more. Here's a link to our newly created TOC page that shows how 'not' black it is: http://skydiving-encyclopedia.com/sample-page-2/index-table-of-contents/

Any idea what I should do to fix this?

Please Note: I had a LOT of problems with the migration from OLD site to NEW site. After the migration was complete, but ALSO coincidentally after my theme had updates (several times to keep up with the 'patches' to the WP release) I have not been able to successfully get into Appearance --> Customize (page comes up but circle in middle sits there, spins, and site display never comes up). Please see attached screen shot. It is possible my theme got 'messed' up from either the migration, the WP updates, having a Minimaze file hacked two Thursdays ago, or who knows what. I was going to delete Minimaze theme and reload it, but since I can't get into Appearance --> Customize, I can't do screen shots of the setup so I don't have to figure out all over again how to make it look like I want. BTW - to fix the hacked file, I removed the malware code and replaced it with copied code from a backup version of the same file. The backup file was from a very recent (not hacked) backup.

Thank you TONS for your help!

Mary :o)

• Jude

Hi there @Mary

Please see attached screen shot. It is possible my theme got 'messed' up from either the migration, the WP updates, having a Minimaze file hacked two Thursdays ago, or who knows what.

This clearly looks like the theme was not updated to meet 4.2 WP requirements. Also since you mention the hacking its because earlier WP was insecure and 4.2 (Latest version) fixes it. So either keep the theme but the site is vulnerable or use another theme till this one gets updated/patched to meet latest guidelines.

If you ask me personally, I'd say you need to give the theme the boot. However here is some CSS code that can black the grayed out areas again

body, textarea, a {
    color: #000  ;
    }

I'd be happy to advice further, do get back if you need help.

Have a great weekend ahead

Jude

• Mary

Jude,

THANK YOU for you fast reply, suggestions, and the code fix.

Believe me, I WILL be changing themes as soon as I can find one that meets my needs. I went to Minimaze as a work-around for a WP limitation with drop-down menus in the header. If you can suggest a theme that supports multiple nested categories in a header drop-down menu, PLEASE advise. Check out my header on my site. I have granted access.

THANKS TONS!!!!!

• Mary

Jude,

So sorry to tell you, but it didn't fix it. Please go to this page and see what I mean: http://skydiving-encyclopedia.com/sample-page-2/index-table-of-contents/

BTW, can you also tell me why the 'category/parent' name of this page is "sample-page-2"? I have never created any 'Page' categories with that name, or a 'page' with that name. That page doesn't have a 'Parent'. Is this some kind of default name? How can I link pages to Categories (NON-WIKI Categories)? There doesn't seem to be a way to create categories for pages, only for posts. Are posts just for blogs? (Can you tell I have little experience with posts/blogs? LOL).

• Kasia Swiderska

Hi Mary,

I was able to add the code in Theme options (General Settings -> Custom CSS) - and now it's working.

There doesn't seem to be a way to create categories for pages, only for posts.

By default pages don't have any taxonomies. Only posts have categories and tags. However you can add your own custom taxonomy for pages. You can use our plugin CustomPress https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custompress/ to add one. Simply install it, and in Content Type there is Taxonomies tab.
    You can add category there and attach to page in Post Type box. This will allow you to categorize you pages. But please be careful with slug for this - WordPress don't like when two things have same slug.

Are posts just for blogs? (Can you tell I have little experience with posts/blogs? LOL).

That depends :slight_smile: - post can be use as a News section, Articles... It depends on needs.

BTW, can you also tell me why the 'category/parent' name of this page is "sample-page-2"?

Slug "sample-page-2" is suggesting that this is remain of default page that comes with WordPress fresh install. Is it possible that you could have this page at the beginning of your work with the site?

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.