Simple Q: Subdomain access to visitors

Have 2 levels on a multisite with subdomains, my membership tables are GLOBAL. The 1st level is Visitor. The 2nd is FREE.

The idea for level 1 is the visitor can visit the main blog and i limit access to menu options and pages, He also has no access to any buddypress functionality. This part works of.

Level 2 is FREE, but requires registration - so far it has been working fine. So the FREE level then gives access to the buddypress side of the site (also on main blog), and to further menu options and pages on main site.

NOW >>> the problemo... (yes there MUST always be a problem).... say I have 10 network sites (blogs on subdomains)... using the global tables the new signups appear fine in these blogs users tables... I want to limit the VISITOR level to full access on say BLOG A AND BLOG B.... but if they want access to BLOG THE REST aaah you need to sign up buddy...press the register button....

NOW this part is NOT working. I have in postive rules tried to allow by clicking on the sites i want them to have access to, and tried also the other way, in negative rules to tick the ones they dont have access too, seperately i mean, tried both ways... NO GO

Whatever i do, when they visit the 2 sites in question, the 1st redirects them immediately to sign up, the 2nd does not redirect them but they get 404 errors when trying to access posts....

If i disable membership.... aaaah well then all works

HINTS, clues, ideas?

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

I have to be honest I haven't done a great deal with Membership when acting globally.

So in the global level you have for strangers, all the permissions are set to give them access where they need right?

Can you show some screenshots of the access levels, settings, etc?

Thanks.

• greg_mcewan_marriott
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey Tim, sure, not sure what u need screens of, but i attach a few, better still, i will make any wpmudev staff member a super admin there if they go to http://smeak.com and sign up. My skype is greg.mcewan.marriott.

The blogs that are ticked is in postive rules, so that means that level should have access to those blogs, i have tried swopping it about also, as in untick them, and then tried both ways in the negative rules... all lead to same result.

the 2nd last screen shows you the default role assigned to users when joining per blog... what else... on the global thing, i followed the wpmudev instructions step by step, it works, as all blogs share a common user base which is what i want

the last screen is from network users...showing you that all registered users have got access to the blogs listed

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

Hiya,
    Greetings of the day.
    I was doing a regular followup today and found that we missed your last post on this one.
    Are you still seeking support on this one or managed to get it resolved ? Please let us know so that we can take it further and assist you on the same
    Thanks for being a great community member !
    Cheers
    Tom

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

We hope you were able to resolve this. Since this thread has been inactive for some time I am going to go ahead and close the ticket. If you were unable to resolve it or have any further questions, please feel free to re-open the ticket – we are more than happy to help!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.