Simplify Social Theme for Members?

This post may sound stupid, but let me try. When a person adds a blog, to "mysite.com", then they chose the activated social theme. and the user activates it. and under theme options they seem to have all the same admin controls as the site admin has, or so it seems.

also if a any person goes directly to that persons blog "mysite.com/blog1" while not logged in they get a new buddypress social theme header page, etc. (i would rather the main site header image comes up with the members blogs info below (as it is part of the "mysite" community, or skip it all together. As many users (due to lack of computer knowledge), may just want a simple page)

I would like, as admin to provide the default social theme matching the original site to have the same look as main community page "universal" thought out the site. For Example, a new user would get a simplified social theme "blog page", with minimal controls:
maybe some widget space on right side and the standard tabs, youtube,flicker.. (ie., P2 theme but prettier and on steriods)

I'd like to be able to make the page more of a default page kinda like using the theme "P2 by automatic" for people who know very little about changing colors,widgets. This way site admin can add embed (hard code) ads on all blog pages, and the user will have some space also if they have knowledge.

I love the social theme logged in look, but i'm having a issue with activating it on a member's blog, and that member's blog showing on front page "latest post" as the theme options "2-3 column" seems to override the "settings (reading) - static page to show latest posts).

maybe i just can't find it, but is there a way of modifying a members controls over the social theme or is there a theme one can use that looks similar in layout without having to use a theme such as P2 for the average Joe/Sally out there for default.

sorry for being long winded, i hope its understandable. (the p2 wordpress theme allows for quick post, and adding longer posts, but i'd rather use your great social theme layout as default to match overall site)

• James Farmer

No such thing as a stupid post

"under theme options they seem to have all the same admin controls as the site admin has"

If they are administrator of that blog then that makes sense - that's how it works.

So from what I can gather you;re asking to be able to provide one theme, which will govern all blogs, but which can only be configured by you as site admin?

To be 100% honest with you our themes just arent designed like that - the idea is to give all users as much customization as possible.. usually in the situation you are describing site admin would only make 1 or 2 themes available which just don't have options.

However, with a bit of code savvy you could hack the options page out.

Re: "but i'm having a issue with activating it on a member's blog, and that member's blog showing on front page "latest post" as the theme options "2-3 column" seems to override the "settings (reading) - static page to show latest posts)."

Can you give us a link / screenshot please (and maybe that's another thread too)

• Richie_KS

i think you can accomplished that by copy over a child theme to theme root.
    there should be bp-social-child right?

unless you are using bp-social-child for your main blog..just copy paste another bp-social-child
    but rename it to something like bp-social-member...rename also the stylesheet 'theme name' for
    the child theme.

so it will be like this:

/*
    Theme Name: BuddyPress Social Member Theme
    Theme URI: https://premium.wpmudev.org/
    Description: A Social BuddyPress Theme that connect people, friends and family. Compatible with WordPress with or without BuddyPress, WordPress MU with or without BuddyPress and WP/WPMU installation with BuddyPress 1.2+ only.
    .......................more

so now in themes root..you should now have
    /bp-social
    /bp-social-child
    /bp-social-member

now copy index.php from /bp-social and paste over to /bp-social-member and rename it to
    home.php...now you can used this theme as member blog...it should have a blog look rather
    than a frontpage look.

• Bigdreams

Thanks James and Richie...

Richie, i did what you said, it seemed to work great....I liked the look when not logged in as it shows posts under the social sign standard social gallery login, etc. but when logging in the post disappear. and reverts back to site activity or even when showing post as directed by "reading" control it don't show as the non logged in listing.

maybe, is a simple way to obtain an look i'm trying to obtain...for the standard 2 or 3 column front page of the social theme. I notice there is a widget for recent post. that just show titles. is there a simple way to show title and blurb

i know my questions may seem silly but i'm just trying to put myself in someone's position (a user with limited widget/wordpress experience while trying to obtain a social page (like facebooks wall) for the simple users.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

James, per above, in the soical theme when i go to reading setting and select front page to show latest posts, then go to front page it show the standard widget positions. should it not show latest posts just like when a person selects activity stream in the reading setting for front page