Simplifying the commerce UI for clients

I’m building a multiuser marketplace using the MarketPress plugin and I was wondering how to achieve something a bit more simplistic than the current implementation.

To be more exact, all the stores on my network will be from the same country, will have the same taxes, same payment methods, same shipping quotes etc.

So there is no real need for all those options to be present on each site. I want the superadmin to be able to change those on a network level, not per site.

The trick is that the users will be TOTALLY clueless and their only interest is adding a few products on each store. Any extra options will get them dizzy (and in turn I’ll probably kill myself from all the questions they’re going to ask me).

I want users to have no options except their paypal address and a few more basic fields.

Has anyone thied something similar or have any ideas on how to achieve this?

I know that I could “hack” the plugin to declare some predefined options and then hide (css) all the unnecessary options from the admin UI but hacking core makes maintenance and upgrades a real nightmare. It’s a really quick-and-dirty solution and I’m looking for something a bit more permanent and elegant than that.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings aristath,

After careful consideration of what your goal is it is my opinion hard coding is of course a good option if you permission the custom files 444 read only so that they cannot be modified during updates.

Another great option could be to use the Easy Blogging plugin to make customizing the dashboard so it only accesses the areas that you want i.e. add product menu etc.

It is my opinion that a combination of the two may be the best answer in the end.

Anyone else have a better idea?

Cheers, Joe

• aristath
    • Recruit

If I hardcode my options and set permisions to 444 on marketpress.php then I’ll have to kiss goodbye all future updates and support which is -in my opinion- not a good thing.

It seems to me that in the end I’ll have to completely hide the store settings menu and write a custom module that will enable and configure all options I want pre-configured. Then This plugin will have to provide a form that will provide just the options I want users to be able to configure on their sites (paypal email address etc).

Alternative and ideal solution:

In the marketpress superadmin settings provide a tab (clone of the individual site marketpress configuration) where next to each option there will be 2 checkboxes so that the superadmin can make 2 selections:

1. visible to site owners

2. Configure network-wide options

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings aristath,

If I hardcode my options and set permisions to 444 on marketpress.php then I’ll have to kiss goodbye all future updates and support which is -in my opinion- not a good thing.

To some degree this would be accurate only relative to the files that were permissioned 444 read only. But we have had no problem with this since we use Ultra Compare which goes line by line telling us the difference between any two files and we quickly but safely drag and drop the updated files to our 444 read only files and we have the update. UltraCompare: File Compare, Folder Compare, and Merge Differences!

Of course this is not a viable solution for everyone depending on their resources, but it does work great for us.

In addition, you did not mention anything about Easy Blogging? Which offers absolute control over the menu?

I am really just trying to help find a solution :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

• aristath
    • Recruit

The problem I found with Easy Blogging is that it is a great plugin with the ability to hide entire menu items. What I need is not hiding entire menu items but hiding individual items from the form that is presented to the user after he/she clicks on the menu item.

I need to alter Forms, not menus. That is my problem. :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings aristath,

Thank you for the clarification on menu items versus forms – it is appreciated towards the goal of getting your goal handled.

What forms are you referring to specifically?

Can you please expand on the scenario?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aristath
    • Recruit

My use case is this:

A marketplace where everyone will be able to get a store and start selling in less than 5 minutes. Everything preconfigured, all you have to do is choose a name for your store, enter the sub-domain of your choice and then add some products.

So for example on the “store settings” page, there are these tabs:

1. general

2. coupons

3. presentation

4. messages

5. shipping

6. payments

7. shortcodes

8. importer

It will be a “localized” marketplace so there really is no need for the shop-owner to enter and configure the country, currency etc. The goal here is to keep it as minimal as possible, so I want to have ALL the options on those tabs predefined and hidden from the users.

The only option available to them will be their paypal e-mail to get paid (tab No6 – payments).

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings aristath,

Hhmmm ….. this is definitely a challenge but I still think that Easy Blogging plugin is still the ultimate solution adding only the menus that we want to include.

Another option that may be even more suitable especially is it covers Market Press menu options would be Advanced Access Manager plugin.

Please check them out and tell me what your thought are or have you already found a solution that you are happy with?

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.