Single site, single database ....scaling with Multi-DB?

Hey guys, I’ve run into issues with some wordpress, single-site (not multi-site) databases getting rather large in the past, and leaving me with web hosts complaining about “slow queries” in MySQL.

I’m wondering if the MultiDB plugin is maybe the answer to this. Anyone else run into this issue? At this point, it's becoming a pain in my arse, and I'm willing to consider anything other than crazy expensive hardware or cloud upgrades...mainly because I've not been able to monetize the sites to their full potential yet.

In fact, they're large Wordpress sites that don't get a crazy amount of traffic. So the size is the issue, rather than the need for scaling due to traffic or amount of queries. I welcome all replies, as I'm somewhat lost on this one.

• aecnu

Greetings ashworthconsulting,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

The first thing that should be noted is that Multi DB is for MultiSite and Buddy press sites only, it does not work on solo WordPress sites and I am happy that you asked instead of having the possibility that your entire site go down due to the incompatibility - though I theorize that rather then your entire site going down I foresee the plugin just not working and a lot of work for nothing.

With that said lets cover some things that do work and may help you with these database queries.

Have you by any chance tried the DB Cache Reloaded Fix plugin?

I think this is the place to start and should cut those DB Queries down in a flash.

Give it a shot and let me know how it goes.

Cheers, Joe

• ashworthconsulting

Good stuff. I've checked out that plugin and also, at the time before when it happened, was using W3 Total Cache, which also caches the queries. For whatever reason, that didn't help. Slow queries still happen when you're using a plugin that simply caches the queries. It reduces the number of them, but they're still happening just the same.

For that reason, I'm hoping there's some super-awesome, single database-splitting plugin out there that I can just install and balance out each of the tables to different databases on different servers (if needed). Beyond that, sharding would be awesome, but that's getting seriously technical, and I'll need to be earning an income from the site before that can take place.

• ashworthconsulting

Admittedly, due to the lack of monetization on the given site (now offline), it was on one of my servers, then Hostgator, then Bluehost. Both of the final two companies told me the same thing....take a hike due to the slow queries happening and affecting performance on the server.

The issue is no longer since I had no choice but to take the site offline, and couldn't find a buyer to take over the site quickly enough, but I'm mainly concerned about this so I can prevent it from becoming such an issue again in the future.

We all want our sites to become big and busy, right? :smiley:

• aecnu

I agree with you completely, so many people miss the mark on how important the host is and matching the host to the traffic and needs of the site.

You had mentioned going to Hostgator then Bluehost but you never mentioned which kind of hosting package you had. Just regular hosting for $4? Or they booted you from a Dedicated Server which I would find absolutely incredible? Or perhaps a VPS?

I hope you do not mind, but i find this to be an intriguing topic.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.