single site - with subdomain

Hi, I have a subdomain that I want to point to a page on my main site. It seemed that domain mapping plugin might have worked but it's only for multi-site and I have a single site.

The subdomain is members.studentsuccessclub.com and it points to /member-area

I created a new page on my site called Member Area.

I created a new Directory in public_html called Members but don't know what to do next.

Thanks,
Joanne

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Joanne.

Domain Mapping, will map domains to subsites within a WordPress Network.

The subdomain is members.studentsuccessclub.com and it points to /member-area

I created a new page on my site called Member Area.

So are you wanting the sub-domain to just point there?

If so then make the sub domain a forwarder.

If you are wanting a page in your single site to appear like a sperate site with its own domain then that won't happen. WordPress isn't capable of assigning a domain or subdomain to a single page with another site.

You would either need another site or setup WordPress multisite and Domain Map it.

Take care.

• CoachJo

Thanks Timothy, I think what I want is "If so then make the sub domain a forwarder." I know I don't want it to seem like a separate site.

I'm confused. What I want is for the final page on my website to be Member Area and for it to be the location of my groupspaces portal.

I got the White-label version of groupspaces thinking that I could use it instead of Membership becauses there seemed to be no way I was ever going to get that working for me.

<Sigh>

Joanne

• aecnu

Greetings CoachJo,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

• CoachJo

I went ahead and made my site a multisite and I'm trying to get Membership and Buddypress to fulfill my requirements. Here's what I'm hoping to achieve:

1. Member registers and pays and receives an email with a username and password assigned. They are given a link to the Member Area page, the last page on the website. When they sign in, they go to their own particular membership site (a subdomain such as Signature, Elite or Threshold).

2. At the subdomain site, they have access to the common areas for that membership level plus they see a page called Team. They will eventually be assigned to a Team and, when that happens, I want them to be able to access the materials there without having to sign in again.

3. There will be Forums at the Level area (Signature, Elite or Threshold) as well as at the Team area. There will also be document sharing and calendar at both. Only the Team area will have a Directory. Also, their Account info, billing and profile should be accessed from the Level area so they can access it when they are not assiged to a team.

Is that enough info?

Thanks,
    Joanne

• Timothy Bowers

1. Member registers and pays and receives an email with a username and password assigned. They are given a link to the Member Area page, the last page on the website. When they sign in, they go to their own particular membership site (a subdomain such as Signature, Elite or Threshold).

So they would have their own website with this membership?

Membership wouldn't create the site for them. They would need to signup with domain.com/wp-signup.php or create a site once signed up.

2. At the subdomain site, they have access to the common areas for that membership level plus they see a page called Team. They will eventually be assigned to a Team and, when that happens, I want them to be able to access the materials there without having to sign in again.

With membership you could create a subscription with two levels. The first level would be for X amount of time and then when done move to the next level for that subscription. That level would need to use the Advanced Rules so you assign them to a new role.

You would need to look at either some custom code or a plugin which would display users of a specific level. Maybe even create a level for this purpose as well:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-role-editor/

3. There will be Forums at the Level area (Signature, Elite or Threshold) as well as at the Team area. There will also be document sharing and calendar at both. Only the Team area will have a Directory. Also, their Account info, billing and profile should be accessed from the Level area so they can access it when they are not assiged to a team.

bbPress could be installed on different sites, but there are some shortcodes mentioned here:

http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-20-shortcodes

The account info will be accessed fromt he site Membership is installed on with pages created for it.

It might be worth looking at this from another angle. Like BuddyPress. Event though its a social networking plugin, thats only a name, so....

Groups could be team areas, and they can have forums. Our Membership plugin can also restrict access to those.

We offer a calendar for BuddyPress as well:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-group-calendar

And I see someone took up the BP Group Documents plugin again:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/group-documents-plugin#post-215420

From reading what you want, it won't happen out of the box and you would need some custom work done unless there are areas you can change your mind on like using BuddyPress.

I wonder if others have any suggestions for this...

Take care.
    Tim.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.